Author Topic: COMPLETED- Donpatrick or Downpatrick  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
COMPLETED- Donpatrick or Downpatrick
« on: Saturday 31 March 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have just found my first Irish ancestor and I am now stuck.  According to the baptism register of Ovingham in Northumberland, Rosey Murphy was a native of Donpatrick in Ireland, the nearest match I have found is Downpatrick.  Before I go any further can anyone tell me if there is also a Donpatrick?

The baptism entries in question are:

1811 Ann Blakeburn born May 19 1810 bp April 14, 5th child of John Blakeburn otp bhw Rose Murphy native Ireland

1808 Jane Blakeburn b Oct 9th 1807 bp April 17th, 4th child of John Blakeburn otp bhw Rose Murphy from Ireland

1806 Robert Blackburn born Aug 6th (1805) bp January rth (1806), 3rd child of John Blackburn otp bhw Rosey Murphy native of Donpatrick in Ireland

1803 Christian Blakeburn b June 23 bp Oct 16, 2nd child of John Blakeburn otp bhw Rosey Murphy native of Ireland

After 1812 a new Vicar record her as Rose or Rosamund, but on the 1841 and 1851 census she is Rosanna

I would appreciate any help

Irene B
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Donpatrick or Downpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 07 09:10 BST (UK) »
Irene B

There is no record of a place named Donpatrick - I should think you are safe to assume Downpatrick.

You did well to correctly identify Rosanna in the 1841 Census: the ancestry.co.uk index has recorded her as Rosanna Blackham, b in Scotland !

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Fortunately I have Northumberland 1841 and 1851 census on CD so I hadn't seen the Ancestry transcript.  I have since submitted the corrected names to ancestry so thank you for pointing that out!

Irene
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
I suggest you look up freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/Murphy
the first entry is
MURPHY family Down in Irish Street east, Chapel Hill, Downpatrick; leased a house from John Lennon's executors in 1751 ESRR p 3
Good luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 April 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link. it led to some other pages and I now know a lot more about Downpatrick.

Irene