Author Topic: Help request - Newent, Gloucestershire  (Read 1533 times)

Offline wendy1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help request - Newent, Gloucestershire
« on: Sunday 01 April 07 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for your time,
I have recently located an ancestor of mine on the 1861 census, in Newent, Glocs.
His name was Francis Causer, and he was a prisoner living with a constable of the police.
can any one tell me how do I find out what he did and the length of his sentence.
As I live in the midlands and do not drive, if there are web sites out there that anyone knows of which would help my search I'd love to know. :)

thank you again for your time
wendy

Beddow/s,Boucher,  Causer, Chapman, Ewins, Fellows, Hitch,Irons, Jones (Bloxwich),Mackenzie, Rochell/e (walsall),

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Help request - Newent, Gloucestershire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
you can often find details of assizes and judicial quarter sessions in Access to Archives site .... but I wonder if his offence was more trivial if he was just 'with' the Police constable in his 'lock-up' perhaps ?

This URL combines A2A and National Archives searches ..

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/quick_search.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
Doesn't give you anything on Francis, but the Gloucester Record Office's genealogy database gives an Emma Causer in gaol in 1871 - occupation prostitute. Was she one of yours?

If you want to have a look at he database, it's quite good - try http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

There will be a lot more information in the files if anyone of yours appears in the database. I recently went to the Record Office and looked up one of the gaol entries for a RootsChatter and it had lots of detail about the physical details of the prisoner as well as what they were done for.

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline wendy1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,
Thank you for your reply, I have certainly got to look into this ....lol
Thank you again for your time
happy searching
wendy
Beddow/s,Boucher,  Causer, Chapman, Ewins, Fellows, Hitch,Irons, Jones (Bloxwich),Mackenzie, Rochell/e (walsall),

Offline wendy1612

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 April 07 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Newfy,
Thank you for the link I will be taking a peek.

thank you for your time
happy searching
wendy

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
There's a picture of the old police station/court here

http://18plus.org.uk/nicholson-house/

It was the home of the "Crime Through Time" collection, but this display has now moved on to Littledean Gaol.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk