Author Topic: Woodhorn Records Office  (Read 4230 times)

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhorn Records Office
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
I went to Woodhorn this weekend and found it marvellous.  There are millions of film readers.  I think one of the best features is that you don't have to save up all your change for photocopies.  It is a trust system whereby you collect your copies as you go along then take them to the desk where they are stamped (on the back) regarding copyright then you pay for them on mass -- you can even use credit card if needs be. 

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline chris40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
theres just so much to look at, you never know what to look at first, i had look at great great great grandfathers will when i was there on saturday,
what names and places are you looking up Janet?

chris
Armstrong - Newbiggin by the sea, Baston- Rothbury area, Clarke-Hampshire, Cleugh- Rock, Davison- Denwick/Lesbury areas, Errington-Hexam, Graham-Felton, Grey-Dunston, Jackson-Dunston, Kennedy-Rothbury area, Luckley-Craster and Embleton area, Luke-Rothbury area, Maughan-Durham,  McCabe-County Cavan, Ireland. Ogg- Longhorsley, Patterson-Elsdon, Richardson- Longhoughton, Robson Eglingham also Robsons at Chatton, Taylor- Craster, Turnbull-Clennel and whittingham areas, Wilkinson-Simonburn

Offline chris40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
hi sallys mum,
i ordered a photo from archives , and picked it up the following week when i was there, i thought i would of had to pay when i ordered it, but they said to just pay when i picked it up , as they dont do the photos on the same day, am really pleased with the photo as i dont think the buildings are there anymore.
chris
Armstrong - Newbiggin by the sea, Baston- Rothbury area, Clarke-Hampshire, Cleugh- Rock, Davison- Denwick/Lesbury areas, Errington-Hexam, Graham-Felton, Grey-Dunston, Jackson-Dunston, Kennedy-Rothbury area, Luckley-Craster and Embleton area, Luke-Rothbury area, Maughan-Durham,  McCabe-County Cavan, Ireland. Ogg- Longhorsley, Patterson-Elsdon, Richardson- Longhoughton, Robson Eglingham also Robsons at Chatton, Taylor- Craster, Turnbull-Clennel and whittingham areas, Wilkinson-Simonburn

Offline newbigginlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Is the records building the old Woodhorn church or is it a new one and are we talking Woodhorn near Newbiggin-by-sea ? i was christened in the church back in 1952. Altho' i'm newbigginlass it's a long time since i lived there
Grace

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
The Record office is in a new building called 'The Cutter', built on the site where the old colliery buildings, and the old Woodhorn Museum are.
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline shazzi_b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 July 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Did anyone happen to ask about using laptops?  Ive been once and people were using them, and now that Im working from one, it would be much easier to take it along!  I seem to remember the assistant said something about virus checkers?

thanks
Northumberland - Addison, Bowles, Kirkup, Lowes, Mason, Patterson, Richley, Venus, Wardle, Williams
Durham - Pears, Robertson, Richley, richelieu, Summerell
Norfolk and Essex - Bowles, Ninham, Wiseman
Glos - Summerell, Williams

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 July 07 05:56 BST (UK) »
I visit Woodhorn every weekend and take my laptop with me.

I was asked how old my laptop is, apparently if its over a year old it needs an electric safety check sticker on it, supplied by an electrician. (I cant see you need one IF you are working solely off your laptops battery.)

You can even use your laptop beside the film/fiche readers if you jiggle the machines around slightly. Plenty plugs everywhere.

Gen
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 July 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
You can use your laptop at Woodhorn but you need to register it with them when you first take it there. Also I expect you would need to have a PAT certificate for it to prove it is safe to use.

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)