Author Topic: Greenwich Pensioners  (Read 15207 times)

Offline Jennifer Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Greenwich Pensioners
« on: Monday 02 April 07 06:52 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if someone could explain to me what a Greenwich Pensioner is?  I have an ancestor who I found in the 1851 census whose occupation is listed as a Sawyer and a Greenwich Pensioner.   The previous census in 1841, his occupation is listed as Sawyer.  Can anyone explain to me what both of these occupations are and are they related in anyway?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Carmen, Carman, Cherrington, Davis, Eastman, Fleming, Glynn, Harris, Rastrick, Ripley, Taylor, Trotter, Wilkins

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich Pensioners
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 07 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacksbox and Welcome to Rootschat

A Greenwich Pensioner is someone who had served as a seaman.

This link to The National Maritime Museum may help

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.17938

A sawyer is someone who works with wood, in a sawmill, or the like, perhaps providing wood for the mines ???

Can you post his name & place of birth?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Jennifer Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 03:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I am looking for John Harris b.1789,  in Neath, Glamorgan, Wales, d. abt. 1863; married to Mary Gilmore (date unknown).  Mary Gilmore b. abt. 1795, in Ireland, d. 1875.  John and Mary emigrated to the US in 1854 and I found them with one of their sons, William, coming through the New Orleans port.  On the ships passenger list, John and Mary Harris's surname is spelled Harries. 

I have been told that John Harris's father is David Harris b. 1743, in Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales and was married to a woman by the name of Elinor.  I have not been able to find any information on this family to verify that they are truly John's parents.

Any ideas on where to begin? 

Thank you for your time and willingness to share your knowledge.

Jennifer
Carmen, Carman, Cherrington, Davis, Eastman, Fleming, Glynn, Harris, Rastrick, Ripley, Taylor, Trotter, Wilkins

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 08:48 BST (UK) »
A Greenwich pensioner is someone who served in the Royal Navy and not as a merchant seaman though he may have done both as he would have been at sea before the concept of continuous service in the navy for seamen. Because he was in receipt of a pension there will be records of John's navy service in The National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=41

The records will not help with parentage.

The 1851 census does not confirm a birthplace of Neath.

1851 HO107 2463 folio 182
Green Neath  Glamorgan   
John Harris 62  St Brides, Glamorgan, Wales Head Married Sawyer Greenwich pensioner
Mary Harris 55  Ireland Wife Married 
William Harris  19  Neath, Glamorgan, Wales Son Sawyer 

There are three St. Bride's in Glamorgan

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/StBridesSuperEly/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/StBridesMajor/

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/StBridesMinor/

For the period you are interested in only St Brides Super Ely has parish register coverage on the IGI. There appears no candidate on the IGI (taken from actual parish registers as opposed to Mormon church members submissions about a birth/baptism in Neath) which would lead to the conclusion John's baptism occurred either at St. Bride's Major or St. Bride's Minor.

1841 census HO107 1421/ 23 folio 13 page 17
Green Street Neath  Glamorgan   
John Harris 50  born Glamorgan, Wales Sawyer
Mary Harris 45 born Ireland 
Mary Harris 18 born Glamorgan, Wales
Morgan Harris 15 born Glamorgan, Wales
Ann Harris 12  born Glamorgan, Wales
William Harris 10 born Glamorgan
Jane Harris 7 born Glamorgan, Wales 

Adult ages over the age of 15 usually rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 census.

St Bride's major was a parish by the sea. St Bride's Minor is inland. Since he was a seaman at some point perhaps a search in St. Bride's Major parish registers might be the best starting point.
Glamorgan family History Society has produced a microfiche transcript of the parish registers.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlsglfhs/fiche4.htm#Church%20&%20Chapel%20Registers

or perhaps some one would do a look up for you in either.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennifer Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 19:14 BST (UK) »
Valda,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I truly appreciate your assistance.  I looked at the 1851 census again and realized as you have stated that John was born in St. Brides, Glamorgan, Wales.  I think due to my inexperience with Welsh research and the geography of Wales, I was thinking that St. Brides was a parish located within the town of Neath.  When I googled St. Brides, Wales, it appears to be a distance from Neath.

You had mentioned that in the 1841 census it was not uncommon for the adult ages over 15 to be rounded down to the nearest 5.  I didn't realize this.  Was this a common practice in Wales on all of the censuses, or is it only applicable to the 1841 census?

Thank you again for your assistance.  I truly appreciate your help.  If I can be of assistance to you if you need something in the US, please let me know and I will see what I can do to help you.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
Jennifer

The links I gave you have maps for each of the St. Brides placing them within the county of Glamorgan and showing their relationship to the coast and also to Neath - none of them are adjacent to Neath.

Only on the 1841 census for both England and Wales were the census enumerators instructed to round adult ages down to the nearest 5 - for anyone over the age of 15. They don't always do it and they sometimes give exact ages but you can never tell with anyone whose age ends in a 5 or a 0.

I am interested in in trying to work out how to obtain a will from Pennsylvania. I'm probably flushed with success at obtaining a will from Illinois. It wasn't just a will is was the equivalent of a tree of documentation - everything in triplicate and then some more besides! Texas on the other hand doesn't seem to have got around to compulsory civil registration until about 1940 so I sort of gave up there. Wales and England in comparison to those sort of state wide differences have very similar sytems.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 01:47 BST (UK) »
An interesting historical note is that it was a hanging offence to impersonate a Greenwich pensioner, or a Chelsea pensioner (army). Presumably because one would be receiving government pension money to which one was not entitled.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Jennifer Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Valda,

If you can provide me with some information about the person you are looking for the will in Pennsylvania, I will see if I can help you in your quest.  You can email with the information if you would like.  Let me know.

Jennifer