Author Topic: my surnames  (Read 5330 times)

Offline Soltown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
my surnames
« on: Friday 05 March 04 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Little - Alston, Keswick, Bolton,
Armstrong - Alston
Thompson - Alston
Beaty - Alston
Roddam - Alston
Gill - Alston
Maughan - Alston
Taylor - Alston, Skirwith, Wetheral

Any connections let me know

George

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: my surnames
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
My third great grandfather was John Gill, born in Alston in 1785.  I'm having a lot of trouble trying to trace the family back further than this.  I know his father was called John Gill but there are so many others with the same name it's hard to know which one would be my 4th great grandfather. 

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
George any Patullo or Paton connections to your Alston's?

cheers Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Jillity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
Not as far as I know.  My John Gill moved to Carlisle where he worked as a cotton weaver.  I don't know if the whole family moved to Carlisle or whether it was just him.  His son William was my great great grandfather and his daughter Emma was my great grandmother. 
The Gill family seem to have a lot of repeated names and parish records don't give a lot of information.  People seem to have made whole family trees going back centuries but when you check their records they all differ significantly so I'm guessing there's a lot of copying going on with no real research.   

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillity ,
thanks. Good luck on the search.

cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.