Author Topic: Look up plse for Thomas William Brown  (Read 6749 times)

Offline Brdtrd

• RootsChat Extra
  • So many mysteries - so little time....
    • View Profile
Re: Look up plse for Thomas William Brown
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 16:47 BST (UK) »
On the 1891 Census, it shows Thomas William Brown as a Spade maker.  Living in Llangidat Carmarthenshire.  Brd
Crawford: Dublin
Bird: Kent/Dublin/Canada<br />Challen:
Sussex/Dublin<br />Meekings, Cakebread, Bird, Stowe: London <br />Doherty, Hartnett, O'Leary, Doran, Nolte: Ireland/Canada <br />Profit, Blamey, Johns, Curgenvin, Fulpit, Ball: Cornwall
Brown:Herefordshire/Wales/Cornwall/Canada
Jones:Shrewsbury/Wales/Ireland/Canada
Pennefather: Ireland/Sussex,UK

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
Looks like spade tree making was a family trade.

You would be able to get the marriage certificate of Thomas and Fanny from Leominster Register Office, The Old Priory, Church Street, Leominster Herefordshire  HR6 8EQ

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
Looks as though Father and Mother Brown also moved to Wales.

Trehelig, Turnpike Road, Llangadock, Carmarthen, Wales 1881
Thomas BROWN aged 47 born Leominster Spadetree Maker [Ag Mach Maker]
Fanny Wife aged 46 born Leominster
George Son aged 13 born Presteign Radnorshire Scholar
Francis Son aged 11              ..              ..                 ..
Alice Dau aged 9 Born Kington Herefordshire           ..
Emily Dau aged 7 Born Hay Breconshire                   ..
James Son aged 2 Born Llangadock

Offline Camera

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
I know that your initial request for information on your relation Thomas William Brown was posted almost 18 months ago, but I have just happened on it on the net. By now of course you have probably obtained most of the information that I have, but I'll post it anyway.
   James Brown was born in Leominster in about 1799, dieing there in 1870. On the 26th October 1826, he married his wife Ann at Shobden, Leominster. She had been born Ann Williams on January 1st 1800, also at Leominster. She died in Leominster in 1868. They had a son James in 1829 and a daughter Ann two years later. In 1834, their second son Thomas was born. All three children were born in Leominster.
   In the Second Quarter of 1855, Thomas married Fanny Woodward at Leominster Priory Church. Fanny had been christened on the 18th May 1834 at Leominster. She was the daughter of Frances Woodward and his wife Ann. Frances was born in 1804 dieing in the second quarter of 1889, while his wife was born Ann Gardener in 1809, and died sometime after 1881. The couple were married at Leominster on the 8th May 1828.
   Thomas Brown and Fanny Woodward would have been your great, great, grandparents. The reason I have an interest, is because they are also my great, great, grandparents. My great grandmother on my father's side was Thomas William Browns elder sister Elizabeth, born in the 4th Qtr. 1860 at Leominster. The family had moved around over the years, but only within about a 10 mile radius. First Leominster, for the birth of the first three children, Elizabeth, Susan and Thomas William. They then moved to Presteign by 1863 for the birth of Margaret, Fanny, George and Francis. Alice was born at Kington (also known as Kyneton) and Emily at Hay.
   By the birth of James in 1879, they had moved further afield to Llangadock, a village which lies between Llandeilo and Llandovery (Llandingat is the parish and as such, is not shown on the map). Elizabeth was working as a servant in "Waunystradfeiris" when she gave birth to my grandfather. The father was George Lant, and the couple were not married. The baby was named as George Brown using his mother's maiden name. Only six weeks later (25th October 1880) George Lant and Elizabeth Brown were married at Llangadock. My grandfather was always known as George Lant. Later, the family moved to Llandovery, where George senior still traded a cattle and horse trader. My father was born at Llandovery before moving with his parents at the age of about eight to the Rhondda Valleys in South Wales, where we still live.
   As to Brown being a Welsh name, no, just in general use. However, as you might well have found in researching them during this period, most of them seemed to live in Leominster!
   By the way, a spade tree is the wooden component of a spade, in other words the handle. The word "tree" was used often to indicate wooden parts such as a shoe tree, a wooden former on which shoes were made and likewise a saddle tree. It also formed part of the word treen, which is a word not now in common use, for wooden items. The word (treen) is now only used in the antique trade to describe small wooden items not classed as furniture. A shovel to plant and remove trees is a Treespade.
   I am afraid I know of no Canadian connection, but if I can be of further help, don’t hesitate to ask.

Offline Brdtrd

• RootsChat Extra
  • So many mysteries - so little time....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Thanks for this.  I have not logged on for some time now - life is so busy.  It is nice to touch base with someone who possibly has the same roots!
I will have to get back into my genealogy again to piece this all together.  Have you still live in the area?  Do recall anyone going to Portloe, Cornwall? Thanks for your interest.
Crawford: Dublin
Bird: Kent/Dublin/Canada<br />Challen:
Sussex/Dublin<br />Meekings, Cakebread, Bird, Stowe: London <br />Doherty, Hartnett, O'Leary, Doran, Nolte: Ireland/Canada <br />Profit, Blamey, Johns, Curgenvin, Fulpit, Ball: Cornwall
Brown:Herefordshire/Wales/Cornwall/Canada
Jones:Shrewsbury/Wales/Ireland/Canada
Pennefather: Ireland/Sussex,UK

Offline R8CHK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 November 11 17:33 GMT (UK) »
James Brown abt 1799 Leominster
4th Great Grandfather
Marriage Ann Williams 1826
Children
John
James
Ann
Susan
Thomas 1835 3rd Great Grandfather
Marriage 1855 Fanny Woodward
10 Children
Elizabeth Brown 1859 2nd Great Grandmother
Marriage George Lant 1880
Edith May Lant Great Great Grandmother 1898
Any interest or connections Please willing to share.
Robert Alun Chick Penarth
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline joseffc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 May 21 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there , i have just started looking into my family tree and came across this discussion.Edith may lant was my great grandmother. I would love to know more about her life as I dont know  a lot. I found an article with her dad George on it and it named all her siblings and elizabeth brown his wife. Please let me know if you would like the article. I don't know how to send it onhere but it is a pdf document which can be emailed

Offline R8CHK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi would really appreciate a copy of the information you have, willing to share anything I have also.
Talk soon Rob Chick
R8CHK@AOL.COM