Author Topic: Slotes - Huntingdonshire  (Read 3021 times)

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Slotes - Huntingdonshire
« on: Tuesday 03 April 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there i was wondering if there was anyone out there that could possibly help me find the parents etc of a Benjamin Slote born 1807 in Stanground Cambs and he died march 1894 in Huntingdonshire. I do have that this Benjamin had 2 wife's and  about 12 children in total. I just cant get back any further and im now stumped!!
I would be greatful of any help, thanks in advance.
Heather  :)
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Slotes - Huntingdonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 07 13:34 BST (UK) »
Whoever they were they weren't married in Hunts as they're not on Hunts marriage Index - the only Slote pre 1837 is Ben in 1832.

Nor were they buried at Stanground

The 1841 marriage is on the BVRI and whilst her father is named as Robert Wright, there's no mention of Benjamin's father. Whether this is a transcription error or whether no father was named can only be resolved by buying the certificate from the GRO, or checking Holme parish register.

If he was illegitimate it might explain why I can't see a marriage in Hunts, and if his mother subsequently married and lived in Hunts she wouldn't have been buried as Slote (although she would have been married as Slote so back to first para above!)

You need to check in Stanground parish register to see if he was baptised there. A microfilm of the parish register is available for viewing at your nearest Family History Centre of the LDS - a full list can be found on www.familysearch.org

I've been looking for them in censuses - I haven't found one yet where they're indexed as Slote!

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
You might be interested in this entry on the A2A website (I just put 'Slote' into the search box):

QUARTER SESSIONS PAPERS - ref. HCP/1

FILE - QUARTER SESSIONS BOXED PAPERS - ref.  HCP/1/6  - date: 1815 - 1819
         item:  [no title] - ref.  HCP/1/6/19  - date: 1815
            hit[from Scope and Content] Assaults: True Bills against: Deposition of Elizabeth Bellamy, Stanground, a witness to the alleged assault on a boy Benjamin Slote by Ann Ward. Complainant Mary Brewster

The records are held at Cambridgeshire County Record Office at Huntingdon, who are generally very helpful. There is a link from A2A.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FENBOY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 08:16 BST (UK) »
HI Heather,

My Grandmother was Susannah SLOTE. She was the daughter of ROBERT SLOTE. Robert was the son of BEN SLOTE 1805 or 1807

Ben was born at STANGROUND the son of ELIZABETH  SLOTE and father unknown. Elizabeth was bapt 1784 at Deeping St James. Ben was brought up by Elizabeth's  AUNT MARY BREWSTER in STANGROUND. I have the court case of BEN aged 10 when he was assaulted by a woman in a harvest field.

Hope this helps,

MATT BROADHEAD    CHAT-name -FENBOY

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
HI THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY I TOO HAVE THE COPY OF THAT COURT CASE WELL THATS IF YOU CAN READ IT ALL!!   I ALSO HAVE THE ONE ABOUT JOHNSON SLOTE TO DO WITH HIS OVER COAT BEING STOLEN. DO YOU HAVE MUCH INFO ON THE SLOTES? I WILL SEND YOU A PM THEN WE CAN EXCHANGE DETAIL IF YOU WOULD LIKE.
THANKS AGAIN HEATHER
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,