Author Topic: MATTHEW REID Builder/Architect Early 1800's  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
MATTHEW REID Builder/Architect Early 1800's
« on: Friday 06 April 07 04:30 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information on my ancestor, Matthew REID, b.abt 1790, Co.Down, Ireland, possibly Newry? He married in Ireland to a Maria (surname unknown). They probably had about 3 - 4 children, including Maria b.abt 1817, Newry, Co.Down.

Matthew REID and his family migrated to Australia in 1833, and the passenger list described him as a builder. His death in Australia can not be located, however, his wife's 1843 headstone partly reads "Maria, relict of the late Mr Matthew REID, for many years architect and builder of ................ (unreadable - Newry?), in the County of Down , Ireland". There is a very slight possibility that Matthew may have returned to Ireland without his wife.

Is there any possibility of tracing any Irish records of Matthew REID or is family? It would be appreciated if somebody could help, or point me in the right direction.

Regards

Les de Belin
(Sydney, AUST)
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MATTHEW REID Builder/Architect Early 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 17:37 BST (UK) »
I had hoped to find you a connection to www.uahs.org.uk, but check yourself and correspond perhaps

Here are some selected items including those with Oz connections from Ros Davies website. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/R/Reid.htm
Messrs Henry &  REID . Newry late of Newry; creditors asked to furnish details 7 & 21 Mar 1828 NCT
Mathew REID . Seapatrick regt. Banbridge; husband of Susan Grey; father of George b. 1 Jun 1865 & Margaret b. 12 May 1871 CR
Matthew REID . Seapatrick regt. Banbridge; husband of Susan Guy; father of Matthew b. 1 May 1869 CR
Richard Jeb Brown REID . Newry of 4 Corry Square; born 7 Nov 1833; emigrated to Australia with his family in 1838; d. 27 Jul 1872 MSS p 82
Robert REID . Newry of Church Street; his daughter Sarah died 13 May 1904 aged 24; buried St. Marys Catholic graveyard MIs
Ross Thompson REID . Newry of 4 Corry Square; born 2 Feb 1832; emigarted to Australia with his family in 1838; died 10 Jan 1915 MSS p 82
Samuel REID . Newry died 1734; husband of Mary; grandprents of Samuel Reid; St. Patrick's Church of Ireland graveyard  MIs
. Samuel REID Esq. Newry of Canal St, Newry; seneschal of Newry c. 1790 & 1824; father of John & James, Hugh & 3 other sons POD; MSS p 55 
. Samuel REID Esq. Newry of Canal St, Newry; distributor of stamps in 1824; d. 19 Dec 18-0 aged 82; husband of Jane; father of Isaac, Samuel & Margaret; buried St. Patrick's Church of Ireland graveyard  POD; MIs
. Samuel REID junior Newry of Hill St,Newry; an attorney in 1824; gave £1 to the dispenasry & fever hospital in 1827 POD; NCT
  Samuel REID   Newry of Canal St, Newry; charity donation; Mendicity Society in 1836; an attorney in 1846 & 1852; of Rosetta; d. 3 Aug 1863; husband of Mary; inscription in St. Mary's Church of Ireland; left a will, executor was James Fegan of Newry V3 p98, 101, 103 OSM; POD; MIs; OFN p 111
. Samuel REID . Newry born 1823; husband of Elizabeth; d. 1895;buried St. Patrick's Church of Ireland graveyard  MIs
. Samuel REID . Newry of 4 Corry Square; b. 17 Aug 1825; son of John Reid & Jane Livingston; emigrated to Australia in 1838 with family; d. 8 Mar 1859 MSS p 82
. Samuel REID . Newry husband of Eliza McMinn; father of David b. 27 Sep 1867 & Samuel b. 23 Jul 1869 & Joseph b. 14 Aug 1874  CR
William Livingston REID . Newry of 4 Corry Square; born 11 Oct 1827; son of John Reid & Jane Livingston; emigarted to Australia with family in 1837; died 16 Jul 1900 MSS p 82
. William REID . Newry a tenant of Marquis of Anglesea, signed a welcome petition 27 Dec 1827 NCT
Capt. William REID .  Newry bought "SS Thrushfield" in 1921 MS WAG p44

I didnt check out www.familysearch.com for irish reids
Hoping you find more information, good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MATTHEW REID Builder/Architect Early 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim for all that information, however, I don't think any of those REID names you listed were any of mine. I tried the UAHS website and its links, but once again nothing there to help me find my Matthew REID. There's nothing in the Family Research site either, which I have searched previously.

You wish me "good luck". Thanks, I need as much as I can get!

Regards

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!