Author Topic: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim  (Read 19644 times)

Offline SherrardMLS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim
« on: Thursday 12 April 07 16:42 BST (UK) »
Greetings~
My great  great grandparents are Joseph and Margaret Arnold of Drumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim.  Circa 1830   According to the 1901 Census they had sons John, William & Francis and a daughter Margaret.  My grandmother's sister, Margaret Houghton, also lived with them.  Any information regarding Drumbrick or the Arnold family would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks so much~
God bless!
Marylou
Sherrards from Gortcorbies, Limavady, CO Derry<br />Houghtons from Cloonboyer,Carrigallen, CO Leitrim. <br />Arnolds from Drumsbrick, Carrigallen, CO Leitrim

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Arnolds in Dumbrick, Carrigallen, County Leitrim
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marylou,
I was just looking at some old postings and noticed yours.
I have found out recently that my great grandmother was called Mary Jane Haughton and she married John WIlson, unfortunately I do not have any dates for their births or their marriage. All I know is that they lived in Killeshandra, Co Cavan and Carigallen where you are researching your relatives is very closeby.
I was wondering if there may be a connection with Margaret Houghton and Mary Jane Haughton ?

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Marylou-
IGI lists 2 children to Joseph Arnold and Margaret Harris:
1. Francis Joseph born 10 May 1866 Newton Gore, Co.Leitrim
2. David born 6 Nov,1872 Co.Leitrim

Also, Joseph Arnold and Margret Harrison:
1. Margaret Jane born 11 June 1869 Co.Cavan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SherrardMLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Margaret~
I am passing on your entry to someone who has been doing extensive work on the Houghton family.  I'll email you as soon as I hear back. 

blessings~
Marylou
Sherrards from Gortcorbies, Limavady, CO Derry<br />Houghtons from Cloonboyer,Carrigallen, CO Leitrim. <br />Arnolds from Drumsbrick, Carrigallen, CO Leitrim

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 08 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Marylou, I appreciate you passing on my question to someone else.

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline GeoffreyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 08 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, from the 1821 Census for Carrigallen Parish there were three Arnold families in Dumbrick Townland - John born about 1781, with wife Isabella and 5 children, Thomas born about 1780, with wife Jane and 6 children aand William b. 1771 with wife Lilly and 7 children.  None of their children are named Joseph. Presumably they are all related, probably brothers. There were other Arnold families in two adjacent Townlands, Mullyaster - Edward b. 1784 and Frances with 3 children,  and another in Corglafs, no husband with Anne Arnold and 4 children. I am descended from Edward. There were also other Arnold families in the Townlands of Cullies and Guladuff which are several miles south of the above Townlands. Again, no sign of a Joseph.  It is of course possible that Joseph was a grandchild of one of the above and or moved to Dumbrick or one of the northern Townlands in the Parish.  Some of the landlords had holdings in different areas and I have one case where one family seems to have moved from Killeshandra to Carrigallen (10+ miles?) so I guess anything is possible as to where they came from or where they went.  I have copies of some old records showing where the Townlands actually were and even where the rental sites were within some Townlands.  Let me know more specifically some dates so that I can determine if there is anything else I can add.  I also have some records of the Arnold descendants of Edward and his wife Frances Sherritt in subsequent generations in Canada, the US and Australia.  Good luck. GeoffreyS

Offline razor8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 January 11 23:56 GMT (UK) »
There was an Edward Arnold a Blacksmith and according to the Leitrim Observer achives this was 1854

dont know if a relation or not but there were also Arnolds in Newtowngore up until about 20 years ago

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 January 11 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Razor8,

I noticed your reply to this post and thought it worth mentioning the following information although there may not be any links:

There is a tomb in Croghan cemetry Killeshandra (Co Cavan) with the following inscription on it :

"Sacred to the memory of Charles Haughton of Coromahon.  Died 13 May 1870 aged 69 years. 'Mark the upright and behold the just.  For the end of that man is peace.'  Also his wife Elizabeth Haughton.  Died 15th February 1887, aged 79 years.  'Blessed are the dead Which die in the Lord.'"

Elizabeth Haughton's maiden name was Elizabeth Arnold, she had a brother called  Richard Arnold who died died 25.10.1863 and another brother Robert but I have no details about him. The Arnold information came from a 2nd cousin who said that it had been provided by a genealogist many years ago.

I am not sure if there are any links here but I do know that Carrigallen is not very far from Killeshandra in County Cavan.         

Thanks

Margaret

Offline razor8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 January 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Carrigallen isn’t far from Killeshandra

I do know that a Charles Haughton appeared in the Griffith Valuation in 1864 in Cloonboygher, Carrigallen along with two other Haughton families George & Edward in the same townland, it looks like the name alternated between Haughton and Houghton over the years probably to distinct between the families

I don’t know where coromahon is? It must be a very old spelling because there's no spelling similar to it as far as I know

I’m afraid I have no other info