Author Topic: The TAIT Family in Stradone - and Associated Relatives  (Read 1778 times)

Offline jeenie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The TAIT Family in Stradone - and Associated Relatives
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
George TAIT was born in Stradone in County Cavan, married Mary SMITH, and had 10 children.

Their son John, who married Susannah nee LANG, also born (probably in Stradone ?) in Ireland, moved to Maybole in Ayrshire Scotland where all their children were born, commencing about 1828.

George and Mary moved to Maybole circa 1830 and from at least 1840 until his death George lived with their daughter Mary and son-in-Law Thomas HEMPKIN, who was also born in Ireland.

John's son William married Catherine FOLEY immediately before the couple emigrated in Jun 1858 to Australia with 2 of his sisters Annie (actually another Susannah) and Janet.

Robert HARVIE also born in Ireland circa 1835-37 and whose father was also Robert married Annie 17 days after he arrived in Australia in 1864.   from Dunbarton where he had been last living.

Susannah TAIT nee LANG died 29Jan1847 age 50, George 14Jul1855, 99, and his wife Mary 19May1838, 80, John 15Mar1858 age 67, and Mary HEMPKIN nee TAIT 16Nov1873 age 60.  All in Maybole.

According to his Death Certificate, from information supplied by his son John, George, Gardener's Labourer, and wife Mary had 10 children in Ireland ie, Samuel (who was by now deceased), Hannah 64, James, John 60, William, Mary 50, Robert, Charlotte, Janet and Maria (the last 4 and James dying in infancy, and William at 22).   [Obviously all ages and DOBs must be suspect]

George's parents were John TAIT, Farmer, and Euphemia ARMSTRONG (married in Stradone ?)

We are new to Irish research, so if you have knowledge of these people or you can help us in any way, hints on how to go about this, suggest where, how, and what to research, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.   :) :)

Harvie -  Dunbartonshire 1864
Tait     -   Maybole 1858

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: The TAIT Family in Stradone - and Associated Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:18 BST (UK) »
Jeenie,

First of all the name of Stradone does exist! look at this link for some details

http://www.sierratel.com/colinf/genuki/cav/Larah/Stradone.html

I have had a look at Griffiths Valuation c.1855 and there is only one James Tait living in the parish of Larah where Stradone lies, but in a different townland called Corfad.

Hope this helps to get you started

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary