Author Topic: Buckley from Kilkenny  (Read 3831 times)

Offline rachfisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckley from Kilkenny
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
Surnames include: Buckley, Walsh, Lavelle, Leverton, Rubenser, Andres, Andrews, Rach, Kelly

I am specifically looking for information on the Buckley side of the family, but any information would be helpful.  What I know currently (or have been told) may or may not be correct.   Washington unless otherwise noted, will be Washington State USA and to be assumed it was in the South Easterly part of the state. Ie. Garfield county Pomeroy.  Or Walla Walla

My grandfather on my fathers side was named Louis M. Buckley b. june 25th 1918 Washington d. Jan 1970.  He Married Vera Bowse b. abt 1919 South Dakota  d. abt 1886 Nez Perce Lewiston Idaho and they had 4 children. Louis had a brother named Johnie Buckley b. abt 1920.  Louis and Johnie’s father and mother were William M. Buckley b. abt 1896 Born in Washington d. abt 1921 in Washington.  Mary Rubenser b. abt 1896 Washington d. abt 1977 Washington.  My father called her Elizabeth, this was her middle name.

William M. Buckley’s siblings
Marie Buckley b abt 1898
Anthony E. Buckley b abt 1899
Casilia Buckley b abt 1901

Their father and mother were
Michael Buckley b Nov 1832 Ireland Kilkenny d Sept. 13th 1903 Washington.

Cecelia  S. Lavelle (spelling varies) b. April 1869 Ireland Kilkenny d. abt 1947 Washington
The mariage record for Casilia has her listed as Secalie Leavell

Michael was married to a Jane Carr  b. abt 1843 Canada around 1875 and did not mary Cecelia until sometime around 1892  Jane and Michael did not have any children.
Michael was was about 37 years older than Cecelia

Cecelia had previous marriage the to a man named Henry  Leaverton b. abt 1869  Again the spelling of the last name may be different.  Ie. Leverton, leaverton.  Cecelia had two children with this man. Both were born in Washington
John Edward Leaverton b. Aug. 3rd 1890
Henry Michael Leaverton b. Nov. 30th 1891 d. Dec 1974

Apparently some people writing a history book for Washington came to Cecelia and asked her to tell her story.  She said that Michael Buckley came from Co. Kilkenny Ireland when he was around 10 years old, however Census records say that he came in 1848 when he was 16 and that Cecelia came when she was 10 in 1879.

Now we are up to Michael Buckley my great great grandfather.   He had at least one sibling , William Buckley

b abt 1830-  d 18 Feb 1893 in Washington

Their  father was Mathias Buckley b. abt 1811
Mathias was married to a woman named
Mary Walsh est 1810

I am unable to find any other information on Mathias Buckley, other than in a marriage record for Michael and Cecelia that lists his mother and fathers name.  This is the only solid documentation I have on either William or Michael's parents.

Mathias had a brother who came across from Ireland as well.  I found this in a census where he was living with his nephew William Buckley (Michael's brother) in Washington.
Edward Buckley abt 1809
There is also a mention in a Washington Census for a Ned Buckley abt 1809, and in a history book here as well.

This is all I have for now, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please contact me at (*)

I feel I should add that I have found the buckley’s in the USA after 1875 in various documents, but I am unable to verify that the documents before this time are truly them.  I would love to find information before this, and in Ireland especially.  However I am uncertain where they came from, other than they were from Kilkenny.

Also, I have just recently found out about a Nathanial Buckley born in Ireland 1806 died in Washington USA 1896  I would like to find out about him as well.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php