Author Topic: How do I go about ordering from the county records office?  (Read 980 times)

Offline Darcy2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How do I go about ordering from the county records office?
« on: Wednesday 01 December 04 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I was wondering how you go about ordering from the country records office? I would like to see the entry for a marriage in 1797 in South Kilworth Leicestershire.  I found a records office:

Leicestershire County Records Office
Long Street
Wigston Magna
LEICESTER
LE18 2AH
Telephone:- U.K. 0116 257 1080, Overseas +44 116 257 1080
Fax:- U.K. 0116 257 1120, Overseas +44 116 257 1120

Do I send them a letter with as much info as possible and ask if it's possible for a photocopy?  Is there another way to go about it?  I'm in Canada, so I can't just pop over there, which would be the ideal I guess :(    Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost? Sorry for all the questions!! I"ve been doing the research for a while, but I haven't really had much experience with ordering anything on paper so I'm a complete beginner in this sense!! I'm a little lost!!   ???  I was hoping they'd have an e-mail address , but I can't seem to find one.  I just did a google search to find this office. Does anyone know if there's a site that has all the county records offices listed or if google is the way to go? Thanks in advance! :)

Kathy

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How do I go about ordering from the county records office?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, if you go to the following site it explains how you can go about getting copies of info direct from Leicestershire County Councils Record Office -

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community/museums/record_office.htm

If you look at the research section that explains their research fees, I can't see at first glance a fee for straight forward copies.

It might be worth your while putting a message on the Leicestershire message board here as someone may be able to offer to do this for you next time they visit....you never know!

Good luck
tabitha  :)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 04 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

I also found this info on the site given by Tabitha:

Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
E-mail: recordoffice@leics.gov.uk

I'd send them an email and ask what the procedure is. Some record offices would rather applications be made on forms, others accept a letter which contains all the relevant info. They will also be able to advise on method of payment. 

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 04 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you live near a LDS family history centre?  You can look at a film of the Parish register for a very small fee.  Check www.familysearch.org for centers in Canada.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Darcy2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys!  Much appreciated!! :)