Author Topic: 'Emigration' by being sick??  (Read 1343 times)

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
'Emigration' by being sick??
« on: Monday 23 April 07 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hello members,

I have reached a stage in researching my GreatGrandfather, George Gilbert EDMONDS,  where I am a little miffed as to where to locate his immigration [or other method of landing] record.

George Gilbert EDMONDS was on board the H.M.S. "JUNO" which berthed in Sydney on 31 January 1855.

The "JUNO" had departed England on 23 February 1854 for the 'Australia station'. 

The ship's journey was via Rio and the Cape [Good Hope?], then a detour to the eastern coast of Arabia [for 3 months], then to Bombay and Trincomalee, and finally Sydney.

The crew had been on 'salt provisions' for some 289 days and a number of the crew were afflicted with Scurvy and associated illnesses.
[brief summary of report of the ship's Surgeon Geo.A. NICOLLS M.D.]

As I have not been successful in tracing immigration papers/record of George Gilbert EDMONDS, is it possible that he could have been quarantined/hospitalised and remained in Sydney when the "JUNO" departed in February/March 1855??

George Gilbert EDMONDS married in Sydney in May 1857.  He subsequently died in Brisbane in December 1906 and is buried under an impressive obelisk at South Brisbane Cemetery.

Can somebody assist me in my research?

Maybe he didn't jump ship after all ..................

Any snippet of information will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

EDO
in Brisbane

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Emigration' by being sick??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 April 07 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is a link to a ship named Juno which arrived at Sydney on 2nd Jan 1855 -

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1855/01/001jun.htm

Do you think there were two ships with a similar name?

Cheers
cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 07 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi EDO,

It is entirely possible that there are no records at all of George's arrival into Australia, as there were no "immigration" records as such, so unless he is listed somewhere on a crew list as departing the ship in Sydney, or if he's on a list of those quarantined in Sydney on arrival, you will probably not find anything unfortunately.  As well as crew or quarantine lists, records can usually be found for assisted immigrants, but again, those who came unassisted (paid their own way) are often hard to find as no government records were kept of them.

The National Archives in Sydney holds the records of the old North Head QUarantine Station; whether or not there will be anything in the records that mentions George, I don't know, but the following web page will give you some more info:

http://www.naa.gov.au/Publications/fact_sheets/FS143.html

As a (presumably) British subject, George would not have been required to become naturalised citizen of Australia at that stage, as we were a British colony and also British subjects. 

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Prue and Cando

thank you very much for your responses.

Every little bit helps

EDO