Author Topic: Garstang, Gaston, Gorton 1830-1834 - Young  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Aragina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Garstang, Gaston, Gorton 1830-1834 - Young
« on: Wednesday 25 April 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Desparatly looking for a birth parish record for a Harriet Young daughter of William Young in Garstang, Gaston or Gorton. She is seen on Cenus records when married to John Bishop as being born in Garstang, Gaston, and Gorton. I guess it was the accent :-)

I hope someone can help as it is crucial to research in this family.

Thank you

Jenny
Taylor Lack Kelly Hawker Little Lovegrove Nightingale Evans Commie  Bishop Roffey Donelly Lismore Fisher Hemming Carpenter Uren Guyer Ruffle

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garstang, Gaston, Gorton 1830-1834 - Young
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 16:16 BST (UK) »
 :P

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
 :P
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

What year and where did she marry John Bishop?  The only marriage I can find with that combination of names was 1850 in Leeds

The 1861 birthplace is not really legible.  1871 is clearly Garstang but 1881 changes to York - Gorton and her birthyear changes to 1823 (Census area is London)

The 1841 has a Mary Young aged 50 plus Harriet aged 15 living in Manchester.  Both are shown as not born in county

You really need a copy of her marriage certificate to establish her fathers name and her age at that time

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Re: 1836 IGI entry

The 1861 has her aged 28
1871 - aged 39
1881 aged 58 (it's a clear entry)

If the 1850 marriage I found is the correct one - she would only have been 14/15 at that time.  The eldest child on the 1861 was aged 8 b Southampton
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Aragina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 21:55 BST (UK) »
HI, Thanks for the replies.  The Leeds Marriage is the correct one as I have the Marriage Certificate. 7 Oct 1850 Parish Church Leeds. She married John Bishop (Musician)and her fathers name was William Young (Musician) We know that her mothers name was Elizabeth  (her 2 sisters birth in  Cumberland prove this) as yet  havent been able to find Harriets birth in the IGI.

Harriet  (age 20) and John were in Newhaven, Lieth, Scotland in 1851 with John's Sister Jane Buckley and her Husband Henry  and in Southwark st George Surrey in 1861 she gives her age as 28 and her place of birth as Gaston Lancashire  (although it is transcribed as Taykashire) , they seem to have settled in Deptford in Kent in 1871  and she giives her age as 39 and being born in Garstang, Lancashire. In 1881 she gives her age as 58 and Born in York Gorton!! in 1891 she is a widow and gives her age as 58 and born in Gaston, Lancashire. She died in Deptford in 1895.

The family were a fairground family and moved all over the country, so it has been difficult finding them. I would like however to be able to confirm the Baptism of Harriet in any of the 3 areas. If that is possible.

Thank you all for reading

Best Wishes

jenny
Taylor Lack Kelly Hawker Little Lovegrove Nightingale Evans Commie  Bishop Roffey Donelly Lismore Fisher Hemming Carpenter Uren Guyer Ruffle

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 07 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

How old was she when she died in 1895

Offline Aragina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Her grandson was the informant and put down her age as 63, which leads me to believe that she was born around 1832.

Many Thanks

jenny

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
I have checked on the BVRI(2) but no christening that matches.  It's a toss up between Gorton and Garstang and unless those parishes have been transcribed by local volunteers and are on CD,  it would be a big job trying to find something that may not even exist - baptisms could take place weeks/months and even years after a birth.  Also - if they were a fairground family - Harriet may have been baptised in another town if they moved on shortly after her birth