Author Topic: Mulhall Family  (Read 8481 times)

Offline gammyun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mulhall Family
« on: Sunday 29 April 07 05:38 BST (UK) »
Looking for ancestors and relatives of my Mulhall family that emigrated to Canada.

James Mulhall b. 15 Sept 1828 in Wicklow County emigrated to Canada sometime around 1853 or possibly as early as 1848 and settled in the area of Cobourg, Ontario.  His wife was Ellen Cavanaugh b. 15 Oct 1833 also from Wicklow, but I'm not sure if they were married before or after the move.
Supposedly, James emigrated with some other families including Bulgers and Keoghs, all from Wicklow and all settling in the same area in Canada.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Mulhall Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Here is the death registration for James, unfortunatly the informant didn't know the parents

James Mulhall
Date of Death:  July 16, 1918
Place of Birth:  Ireland
Place of Death:  Coburg
Place of Burial:  Coburg
Widowed
Parents:  Blank
Informant:  Thomas Mulhall, Coburg, Ontario
Disease Causing Death:  Bronchial Asthma
Duration:  about 1 year

Reg. No. 028314

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 Ontario Census there is a Martin Mulhall born 1826 and family living in County of Northumberland and the next household is Patrick Kehoe and family.

Could Martin be a brother of your James?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Found the following death registration.....

James Mulhall
Place of death:  Rockwood Hospital, Kingston, Ontario
Single
Place of birth: Coburg
Date of birth:  January 1865
Father:  M. Mulhall, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Mother:  Catharine Bulger, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Date of Death:  March 10, 1920
Primary Cause of Death:  General Paresia (?)
Duration:  Indefinate
Reg. NO. 016395

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
We have to be careful using census dates in this search, as if you look at the 1881, James & Ellen both claim to be born in 1836. Also, they have the whole lot of them born in Ireland...( census takers sometimes just keep writing)
Michael also says in 1901 that he was born in 1854....but in the 1881 he is down as 1859...so he just may have been the first born, then...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:57 BST (UK) »
They thing that is confusing is on alot of the children's marriage certificates they have born in Coburg.  Also, Ellen's last name is also spelt Kavanagh.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
Don't be discouraged, gammyun ...we are just letting you know that the dates and facts need to be proven on our side of the pond in order  for others to properly search the ancestors...It's hard enough to find information in Ireland unfortunately!
By the way...welcome to rootschat! J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline gammyun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 04:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
Sorry it took a while to reply everyone, I've been caught up in moving to a new city.

Thanks for the death date for James, I didn't have that.

Most of the info I have on the Mulhalls comes from censuses and birth records and from the time in which James' son Michael owned owned the Village Inn in Grafton. They were a very photogenic family; we have lots of pictures of them posing in front of the Inn.

James and Ellen had 10 children that I know of - possibly one more that died young: Kate, Michael, Arthur, Nicholas, James, John, Thomas, Patrick and Mary.

Michael married Roseann Dunnigan. They had 12 children, 2 of which died in infancy. The others are: May, Rose, Mary, Arthur, Harold, Ursula, Annetta, Patronella, Pauline and Eileen.
And yeah, census records are awful for dates, especially the 1881 one. I think Michael has a different birth year in all the censuses I've looked up from 1881 to 1911. And since he had a late birthday (Dec 31) it was probably especially easy to confuse.

Oh, and it's very probable that James came over with some siblings. I've heard of a Mary and a Michael, both of whom married Bulgers. I have found this Michael in Cobourg records:

Michael Mulhall b.? d.1870
married Catherine Bulger b.1826 d.1894
children:
Julia b.1854
Thomas b.1858 (wife unknown, children Flossie, Frank, Joseph and Theresa)
Mary b.1860
James b.1866
Bessie b.1869

Offline SanTelmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Did you ever get any further in tracing your Mulhall roots?  Have you tried the www.brsgenealogy.com site?  This site has birth records for most of Ireland going back to 1800.  You can register and search for free but you have to pay €5 to see the record unfortunately.

My family are Mulhalls from south Co. Wicklow, mostly in the Killaveney parish.  I did a quick check and I can see a James Mulhall born in 1828 in Co. Wicklow on the site so that looks like your ancestor. 

I hope this helps.

Shane