Author Topic: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed  (Read 31960 times)

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you CP - hope we can learn together.

Caz - I downloaded Neat Image & Polaroid Dust & Scratch Remover a while ago, both free and both appear simple to use.  (They must be cos I managed).

Is it best to use these before or after you have made repairs to the photo?

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Siora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was so pleased to see this thread.

I often look at the restorations that are done with admiration and would like to be able to attempt a little more than I have at present (red eye etc).  

Looking at what I have on computer I see I have Adobe Photoshp Elements but must be old 2.00 and Arc Soft Photo Studio 5.5 and something called Picture Gear Studio which I don't think I have ever looked at.

Anyway will read everything with interest.  Thanks.

Siora

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hey Jim,

I never compete and I'm mad already so I will fit in nicely. Hehehehe ;D

Just reading about Caz's pen in one hand and mouse in the other and the "tablets" ............. methinks I had better hop onto the computer in between packing and do some serious reading.

Thanks to all of you wonderful people for your advice and offers of help.  You sure are a great bunch.

If I don't answer you, you know where I am - packing! :(

Hugs
CP
BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
I don't often use filtering software myself as I prefer the challenge of cleaning the pic manually but if you do, I would make any major repairs such as removing tears first and then run it through the filter (feel free to correct me anyone).  Remember, Noiseware works best on BW pics (which you can then tint to sepia) and on pics that are scanned at 300 - 600 dpi.  You can filter pics at a lesser dpi but you will loose definition and the detail will appear "flattened".

You can then edit your filtered pic in whatever package you use and add some finishing touches, like playing with contrasts or texture, borders, frames or whatever.  Too easy!!

For those that may not know, a graphics tablet is basically an electronic mouse pad connected to your PC using an USB cord and instead of mouse you have a "pen" that you move across the pad in the same way you would move the mouse except as you are holding it like you would a pen, it is easier to control so it makes it much easier to do fine detail likes eyes, hair  etc.  They vary in size and price.  The most popular brand that I know is Wacom.  Plus as Denn says, it's much kinder to your wrists!

Soira

You have more than enough software there to get you started.  Just look for the clone tool as it's probably used about 95% of the time in restoring.  It does  exactly what it says, it "clones" or copies one area of the pic to another area that you indicate which is how we repair tears etc.  You can also select areas of pics and copy and paste them to other areas...all very easy.

Mudge

Didn't you know ALL women can multi task!!   ;D ;D

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
PS I believe Denn is preparing instructions on "101 - Cloning for the Beginner"...so stay tuned!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 April 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
PPS  I'm also lefthanded consequently using the "electronic pen" in my left hand is totally natural, however,  I have always used the mouse right handed..hence the ability to have both guns blazing LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 30 April 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
Caz,
So I'm given to believe  ::) ::) ::) (I'm often being reminded about it at home!)  :-\ :-\ :-\
Mudge

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 April 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
PPS  I'm also lefthanded consequently using the "electronic pen" in my left hand is totally natural, however,  I have always used the mouse right handed..hence the ability to have both guns blazing LOL  ;D ;D ;D

That's how I've done it since I got my Wacom tablet  three-four years ago. I had a cheap one before that. It was Ok but not a patch on the Wacom  :)

Lefties of the world unite - we can do it with both hands  ;D ;D  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 April 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
I'd give my right arm , to be ambidextrous !    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results