Author Topic: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed  (Read 31956 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I want to learn Photo Restoration - Guidance needed
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 April 07 08:04 BST (UK) »
Okay,
     So don't hang about, as Caz said you could download "Gimp" (free)or "photoshop elements" (Trial). My suggestion would be for Elements, for the simple reason that a large number of rootschatters use it and are able to help. Even if Caz or myself aren't online at any particular time; someone else will be.

The elements link is in the above post and if you wish here is the gimp link.

http://www.photo-freeware.net/gimpshop.php

Just let us know when you have one.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 April 07 08:17 BST (UK) »
Denn,

Thanks for that additional information, mate.  Doesn't take much to confuse me, believe me !!! ;)  

BUT - I will gather all my information and take it slowly, one step at a time and if I get "dazed and confused" I will ask for yours and Cazza's help. ;D

Hugs
CP
BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi  CP/Denn

Just so you know I use Elements (couldn't afford the real deal LOL) but Elements suits my needs.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 April 07 09:42 BST (UK) »
That sounds great. are you listening CP - try elements, you will be able to get plenty of help that way.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Hope you don't mind me jumping on board.  I have just bought Photoshop Elements 5.0 so wanted to register my interest in this thread as I need all the help I can get at the moment.

I'm a complete newby also.  ::)

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
I see that you have some York's interests so how could I refuse?

Denn

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
The more the merrier Sheila.  I use Elements 4 (with a couple of features that I, er borrowed from a copy of Elements 5  :-X, so feel free to ask away. )

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 April 07 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caz, you may be sorry you offered.  ::)

I do indeed Denn.  Although I'm a Lancs Lassie I'm only just over a mile from the border and often dip my toe in Yorkshire.  ;D

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
After seeing all the beautiful restores of the picture I recently posted my interest has also been peeked in learning to restore pictures myself.

My program doesn't "clone" so I went into paint, grabbed a spray can and instantly learned that it takes talent, artistic ability and patience.  I dare not say which posted picture I practiced on but the poor dear lady looked like she should be standing on a street corner in the middle of the night plying her wares (read body).

May I suggest that in order to made the best use of the restorers valuable time that we request this thread become a sticky post on the restoration board???

(and stop snickering ALL of you who tried and tried to teach me how to reduce a picture properly.....I finally got it )  ;D ;D

dollylee