Author Topic: Issacher TRUDGIAN/TRUDGEON  (Read 11412 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Issacher TRUDGIAN/TRUDGEON
« on: Monday 30 April 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out about the family of Issacher/Isaacher Trudgian/Trudgeon who was born in 1855 in Luxulyan Cornwall.  He married Isabella Palmer in Armidale, NSW in 1882 and died there in 1918.

I have found a photo of the family on Glenn Perry's website which was taken by Walter Perroux of Toowoomba.  From a Google search I think that it must have been taken between 1899 and 1906.  One of the girls in the photo is a double for my son-in-law's sister who is also a Trudgian.  I think she may be a 2nd cousin several times removed.

If any one can find anything more about the family in Oz I will be very grateful.

Many, many thanks

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trudgian/Trudgeon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen

Qld BDM information to 1914 is now online
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/IndexSearch.htm

Toowoomba Cemetery data is also online
http://www.toowoomba.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_gravefinder&Itemid=46

as is Brisbane
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_899

so you may find your name mentioned

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Trish

I will look later - at work presently.  I may find some of my husband's family who were there too.

Thanks again

Every good wish
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline watmea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 10 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Ellen
I know your post about Issachar Trudgian/Trudgeon was a few years ago but I hope you find my reply.  I am in Australia and Issachar Trudgeon was my great grandfather on my father's mother's side.  My grandmother, Beatrice Grace, was one of Issachar's daughters.

Please respond with a specific request - what I mean is there anything in particular you are interested in, and I will try to answer.  I have some good information from my father about Issachar's life in Australia.
Regards
Carolyn
Trudgian, Trudgeon, Neden

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Issacher TRUDGIAN/TRUDGEON
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn, Lovely to hear from you.
I have been researhing the Trudgian family as my grandsons are Trudgians so they can have a complete picture of their ancestry.
They are descended from Issachar's grandparents Joseph Trudgian and Dorothy Mitchell through their son William (1835 - 1918)  He died in Treverbyn parish and the family still live there!

I have the 9 children of Issachar and Isabella including some descendants of your grandmother Beatrice but I would be very interested to hear of Issachar's exploits and also what happened to the rest of the family, I guess they were all born and died in Australia.  Why did Issachar go to Australia - I know it was quite common for Cornishmen to emigrate at that time.

We live in the next parish to Luxulyan and if there is anything local I can find out for you please let me know.

It seems that the family who remained in Cornwall kept the Trudgian spelling and those who emigrated changed to Trudgeon.

With every best wish, Ellen

Offline watmea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 10 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Ellen
I am relieved that you replied to my message!!!  Issacher was my great grandfather on my father's maternal side.  He married Isabella Palmer and my grandmother Beatrice Grace was one of their children.

I too don't know why he migrated to Australia but I have found out by carrying out research for my husband's family in North America that when a son wasn't the first born (they get all the family lands usually) they migrated to either another country or, less drastic, migrated to a different part of the country that was opening up new lands.

My parents have undertaken a lot of research and Dad has created a family story that he calls the Saga.  Of course the problem is that many people don't think to talk to their elders and record what they have to say until it is too late.  I love the family stories.  It is great to have at our disposal official records but the family stories put the meat on the bones.

What I can tell you is from this document.

Issacher migrated to Australia in 1879 arriving in Brisbane, Queensland on 20 June.  He went from there to Stanthorpe, Queensland to assist Reverend Joseph Beale who was a minister in the Methodist faith.  It appears that Issacher corresponded with the Rev. Beale prior to migrating and intended to assist is the church's activities.  Apparently, Joseph and Betsey were followers of John Wesley's teachings.  His mother passed away in 1877 when he was attending Bible Class and this made deep impression on his life.  Eva's pleading with him to dedicate his life to Christian works eventually made him do so.

There is some conflict with his date of birth and Dad says it has been convincingly established he was a twin with Eva.  However, others have him born in 1855.  If you can find any official records that state when his actual birth date is it would be wonderful.

Two years after arriving in Stanthorpe he moved to Armidale, New South Wales and began working for William Palmer, owner of a brickworks at Brickville, West Armidale, New South Wales.  In later life he was described as Tom Trudgeon, brickmaker and miner . . .a native of St Austell, Cornweall.  He was on 5' 2" and hence the nickname of Tom from Tom Thumb given to him by his fellow workers.

He married William's daughter Isabellain St Peters Church of England Cathedral, Armidale.  Isabella was 19 years old at time and was given permission to marry by her father (Marriage Certificate 8087-1850 - 5 October 1882.).  He remained aligned to the Methodist Church despite being married in a Church of England Church.  He once said that given the opportunity and eduction he would have entered the ministry in the church of his choice. On 23 July 1893 a new Methodist Church was dedicated in Armidale and Issacher's name was the first entered on the new membership roll. He was tireless in his efforts to strengthen the Christian conscience and performed yeoman service as a lay preacher both the the Bible Class and the church.

Declining health meant Issacher was forced to leave his job at the brickworks (date unknown) and he moved into Armidale town to open up a general store in Beardy Street and a green grocery store in Jesse Street.  His death certificate states his occupation as Fruiterer.  He died on 25 November 1918 at Armidale and was buried in the Methodist section of the Armidale Cemetery.

Isabella carried on the business for several years and then decided to move to Cessnock, New South Wales to be closer to her daughter Alma and son Normal.  Isabella opened a boarding house in Cessnock.  She died in Cessnock on 19 May 1954 but was buried in Armidale Cemetery.

Isabella and Issacher had nine children:  William Joseph (1884), Beatrice Grace (my grandmother) (1885), Issacher James (1887), Albert Henry 1891), Clarinda Emily (1890), Cecil Knight (the Knight name has been included in every generation to my own) (1893), Alma Eva (1898), Alfred Norman (1903) and Raymond George (1904).

I hope this has whetted your appetite.  If I can help with other Australian family member information, please let me know.
Warm regards
Carolyn

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 10 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat.  ;D

What a wonderful account you have there for Ellen. I am sure she will be thrilled. I may be able to help:

Looking at the Cornwall Census which is free online, you will find Issacher does not appear to be a twin.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,144624.0.html

Regardless of the families following of the teachings of John Wesley Issacher was in fact baptised in the Parish Church of Luxulyan Cornwall (C/E )

TRUDGEON Issacher was baptised 16 Mar 1855 at Luxulyan. parents Joseph and Betsy - Joseph was at that time a labourer of Treskilling. (Batised by C E HOSKEN)

TRUDGEON Lavinia was baptised 5 Oct 1856 Luxulyan daughter of Joseph and Betsy Clay Labourer of Treskilling (Batised by C E HOSKEN)

TRUDGEON Eva was baptised 7 Oct 1858 Luxulyan parents Joseph and Betsy labourer of Treskilling. (Batised by C E HOSKEN)

These records were taken directly from the parish records of Luxulyan which I hold on microfiche.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 10 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Looking further

TRUDGEON Mary Knight was baptised Luxulyan 26 Nov 1863 parents Joseph and Betsy - lab of Canna (Batised by C E HOSKEN)

TRUDGEON
Sarah Jane was baptised 7 July 1864 Luxulyan parents Joseph and Betsy - Lab of Canna (Batised by C E HOSKEN)

Looks like first child baptised in Roche

TRUDGEON Angelina was baptised 18 Apr 1851 Roche parents Joseph and Elizabeth

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline watmea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 10 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Gee Kris I can't believe you responded so quickly.  I am glad to say that you have set my mind at rest.  I also believed that Issacher and Eva were not twins as I have copies of the family's 1861 and 1871 Census records and it clearly shows four years between them. I am wondering if William and James Knight both born in 1870 were twins though (they are supposed to have both died in the same year as well, in the USA).

I've also realised that Ellen asked for information on other family members and I didn't give her too much there.  So tomorrow is another day here on the other side of the world and I will continue the Saga!!
Cheers
Carolyn