Author Topic: Silverdale Hall,Birkenhead  (Read 8576 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Silverdale Hall,Birkenhead
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 May 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Celia,

I know about this James Skelsey - he's quite a distant relation to George Henry but a closer one to me - the son of my great great great uncle. He left Warwickshire for Merseyside in search of work. If he'd heard of George Henry, he wouldn't necessarily have recognised him as a relative. Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline seamoxton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 June 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
Came across your reference to Silverdale Hall whilst researching same house.
I live 200mtrs from the site.

For your interest; Silverdale Hall, and later on, Grangefield and Heathly became un-occupied as they were in the path of the proposed Liverpool and North Wales Railway. Plans for the line remained active until 1930's and the 1912 OS map shows a projected railway from Birkenhead Central (Mersey Railway) to join the Bidston Dee Junc and Wrexham Rly. at Woodchurch. The only visible rerminder of the abandoned plan is a tunnel through Higher Tranmere.

Good health
Seamoxton

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 June 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Seamoxton - explains a lot.

I've had a look there too. Do you know why the three properties seem to have been developed separately and at different times? The flats on the Silverdale site seem much more modern than the houses built over Grangefield and the school where Heathly used to be. Does this mean the Hall survived that much longer?

All best, Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 August 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
Cross referencing this thread to a thread which touches on ownership of 8 Silverdale Road in the 1920's - it's a pretty interesting topic
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=249920.new
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 August 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun - oddly Silverdale Hall was not on or even very near Silverdale Road- a redherring that kept us guessing for awhile - but thanks anyway

Chris

Offline 162

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 April 24 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
Delighted to be able to send you this photograph. Noticed you are looking for info on Silverdale Hall. I know a lot of facts as my father started Silverdale Nurseries  in 1923 and ended up owning the house called Silverdale.