Author Topic: Finding birth records pre 1837  (Read 1399 times)

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding birth records pre 1837
« on: Friday 04 May 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, quite new to this.  From census info and other sites I have managed to trace my family back to about 1817, which is the earliest date of christening found.  This was obtained from the family search site.  Have established that my ggg grandfather was Jonathon Richardson, christened Tanfield Durham 27 Apr 1817.  I don't have the details of the place of baptism, just his mothers christian name of Sarah.  I can't find anything on her on the other sites I've tried.  Someone suggested i give this one a go. I want to trace his birth to enable me to go further back if possible.  Can anyone tell me where in Durham I would be likely to find this info ?
Thanks
Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters
Norfolk/Suffolk: Love, Sharman
Somerset/Glamorgan, Wales: Brooks, Elliott, Smith
Cumberland: Richardson, Gribbin, Butler, Tatters
Shropshire/Welshpool: Thomas, Bradshaw, Summers, Weatherby, Phillips
Scotland: Baxter, Service, McMaster

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Finding birth records pre 1837
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I had a look on www.durhamrecordsonline but unfortunately they didn't have the Tanfield baptisms

The Church in Tanfield was probably St. Margarets.  You can ask for a parish register look-up for the baptism on the Durham Look-up request board, or if you live nearby, according to genuki http://www.joinermarriageindex.com/pjoiner/genuki/DUR/Tanfield/index.html
the records should be at the Durham County Records Office
http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice
It's worth getting the baptism checked to make sure the date given on the I.G.I. site is correct

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
Barbara,
Thanks for that.  I was just looking on the Durham records site myself - with no joy.  Anyway, the probable name of the church is a help and I'll go to the 'look up' board that you suggested.  Thanks for your help.

Nadine
Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:49 BST (UK) »
If you do manage to get a bit further back, I've just checked the durhamrecordsonline site and they do have Tanfield baptisms, but from 1720-1809 , so just too early for your Jonathan  :(

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 07 16:54 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

Yes I noticed that.  It's just my luck he seems to fall into the one time frame that doesn't seem to be easily accessible !!  never mind - I'll get there eventually (I hope)

Thanks again

Nadine