Author Topic: parish records Tanfield - Richardson  (Read 2876 times)

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
parish records Tanfield - Richardson
« on: Friday 04 May 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the birth of my ggg grandfather Jonathan Richardson.  He was born in Tanfield, Durham 1817. 

The Family search site has a record of a christening on 27 Apr 1817, Tanfield, Mothers name Sarah.
There is no church listed and no father (I am assuming he was illegitimate).

Someone on rootschat tells me that the church is probably St Margarets , Tanfield.  Is anyone able to help ?

Thanks

Nadine
Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters
Norfolk/Suffolk: Love, Sharman
Somerset/Glamorgan, Wales: Brooks, Elliott, Smith
Cumberland: Richardson, Gribbin, Butler, Tatters
Shropshire/Welshpool: Thomas, Bradshaw, Summers, Weatherby, Phillips
Scotland: Baxter, Service, McMaster

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: parish records Tanfield - Richardson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi NadT.

I would assume St Margarets. I also have Richardson ancestors from Tanfield. My gggg gran was born Jane Richardson in 1802, daughter of John Richardson and Ann Bowman. Janes husband my gggg grandfather George Forster born in 1801's mother was called Ann Richardson. I wonder if there is a connection as I have two seperate Richardson lines my Tanfield ancestry.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 07 22:18 BST (UK) »
Ben,
I don't know, maybe.  To date I've used census, BDM and family search to get to where I am now.  This has led me to Jonathan Richardson, born 1817 Tanfield Durham, married Mary Ann Gribbin (born Whitehaven, Cumberland) in Saint James, Whitehaven, Cumberland on 22/5/1836.  Have got requests out to try and confirm marriage details (info from family search).  On family search, Jonathan's  baptism details do not list a father or a church, just a date, location and his mother's christian name, Sarah.  having said that, there is only 1 John Richardson born 1817 on Durham county records for Tanfield with a mother listed as Ann (the only John/athon  i could find). On some census info Jonathan is listed under his full name and on others just as Jon.
Anyway, he had 8 children with Mary, the first 5 of which were born in Whitehaven, Cumberland and the remaining 3 in Durham (that's from 1857).  The family from 1857 onwards are all born in Durham, in and around the Chester Le Street area.
If you have any further info that may be of help, I would be very grateful - I've come to a standstill.  I have other contacts on GenesReunited who have given up on the Richardson side of the family because it's just too hard - too many people with the same name and nothing to confirm links.

Nadine
Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters

Offline Lorraine Norton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
hi do you know much about the richardson family? i done a dna test and apparently jonathan richardson born 1817 Tanfield Durham, married Mary Ann Gribbin is my 4xgt grandfather. any help would be great. thanks

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,
Jonathan is my 3x G grandfather on my paternal side, so I guess we're related - how close would depend on where your line of descent comes from. From Jonathan down my line goes - Jonathan (my 3 x g grandfather) - his son Robert (my 2 x g grandfather) - Robert's son George (my g grandfather) - George's daughter Alice (my grandmother). The Richardsons are a large and widespread family, with unfortunately not a whole heap of information around. If you let me know which line you descend from I can dig out what I have and see if I can help. Alternatively, if you're on Ancestry, you can find me on there as NadThomas with the Richardsonfamilytree.
Nadine

Offline Lorraine Norton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:53 BST (UK) »
thank you, right ok here goes,  jonathan my 4 x g grandfather, his son arthur w 3 x g grandfather, his son george 2x g grandfather ... now there should be a thomas (son of george) who had a son george who would be my granddad, i dont know anything about my grandad george or his family and would love to find out. i am on ancestry but dont subcribe so only have limited access, cant seem to find you on there :(

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 16:06 BST (UK) »

Baptism 27 Apr 1817 of Jonathan Richardson image from the Bishops Transcripts in Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DCY9-FXR?i=290&wc=9K53-92S%3A13618101%2C32789201%2C32789202&cc=1309819

Boo

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,

Ok. So If I'm reading you correctly, your 3 x g grandfather would be Arthur William Richardson b1853, who married Hepzibah Kilbourn and then Mary Ann Garbut. Arthur and Hepzibah had a son George b1873 (sadly died in WW1 in 1918), but he did have a son Thomas b1903 with his wife Josephine Bell who would be your great grandfather. I haven't really done any digging further down than that in this family as it's not my direct line, but I do have bits of paper in files that I still haven't updated onto Ancestry. It's one of those I was going to go back to and never did. I was just going to look something up for you but Ancestry seems to be playing up! I also just looked at my tree settings and they were set to private but searchable so you should have been able to find my tree, but not see it fully (it gives you an option to contact). Anyway, I've now changed it to public so you should be able to find it providing Ancestry stops faffing about.

Offline Lorraine Norton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
yes thats all correct :) so did arthur w marry twice ? Hepzibah Kilbourn and then Mary Ann Garbut, i knew about hepzibah not the other ... my grandad george was 22 when he married in 1953 in london and his father was called thomas (deceased) as written on 1st marriage cert.. i know by early 80s he had remarried with at least 2 more children...what im struggling with is the link to london? how did he end up there also i cant find anything on thomas only that he was born 1903. i found you on ancestry after another look but as i said earlier i dont subscribe i cant message you on there or see your tree unfortunately,