Author Topic: Bucks Quarter Sessions 1833  (Read 12788 times)

Offline Lincslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bucks Quarter Sessions 1833
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 May 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
Regretably there is no age in the papers. I checked both publications.

Seems he stole two horses belonging to different men but was only indicted for one.

The Gazette says in October edition that as it had been reported in the petty sessions, they did not give details. Just that he was found guilty in the quarter sessions. So checked back to the petty sessions and he was arrested on 27th/28th September and described as 'John Knight, a young man of respectable appearance' and that he had stolen the horses from Luttershaw Leicestershire and they were worn out when he got to Aylesbury were he stabled them. They also say that he paid someone one shilling to take the horses into the fair which was being held on 27th/28th September. This aroused suspicion and was by all accounts his downfall.

I did a quick check for Dawes/Knight baptism in Aylesbury c 1810 to 1816 but with no luck. But to honest, if the  purpose of going to Aylesbury was to sell the horses, he could be from anywhere.

Sorry I cannot be of any further help.

Jo

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 May 07 18:48 BST (UK) »
Is there is no 'convict indent' for him in the Tasmania record office? Only a conduct record?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 May 07 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo for taking the time and effort to do the look ups for me.  Looks like I may have to put this on the back burner for now.

Valda, I got a copy of a document from Tassie which gives his name (and alias), where convicted, when and term. I assume that is the indent.  Another one is a printed checklist type of document, NAME, Trade, Height, Age etc.  All this has is his name and written across it is 'Jumped overboard'.  Then there is the Conduct Record with 'Jumped Overboard at Plymouth' written on it.  The number in the top left corner was issued as 919.

Cheers

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 May 07 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Apologies Rochdalian for butting in on your thread  ::)
I am also looking for a crime committed by an ancestor in Bucks/Aylesbury but the trial date was 3 October 1791 in Aylesbury.

Is it possible to find something/anything about my guy who was transported to Oz (and didn't have the good sense to jump ship  ;D)

His name was MAYO - John, originally from Great Horwood I believe.

I'll start a new thread if required but as Lincslass had some level of success with yours, thought I'd try as well.

Apologies for interrupting - and thanks

Di

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 May 07 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

The more the merrier I say, feel free to butt in any time.

Just had a quick initial look and John Mayo was convicted Buckinghamshire1791 7yrs, transported on the 'Royal Admiral'.  She sailed from Torbay on 30 May 1792 and arrived NSW 7 Oct 1792.  She was built on the Thames in 1777, was 914 tons.

You may want to search the following website  http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/colonial_secretary_1788-1825_252.asp

There was a John Mayo married in 1804 to a Mary Weldon at St Johns Parramatta, he could be yours as the next John Mayo marriage was in 1826.  I got that info from the NSW BMD site at http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

A Mary Weldon was convicted at Middlesex 1802 for 7 yrs, transported per 'Glatton' left England 23 Sept 1802 arrived NSW 11 March 1803, she may be yours too.

Hope this helps but suggest you start another thread on 'Emigrants to Australia' board you will then pick up the chatters with more access to info than me.

Good Hunting

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 May 07 08:48 BST (UK) »
See

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=amandataylor&id=I2024

It very much depends whether he was tried at the Buckinghamshire quarter sessions - quarter sessions records at Buckinghamshire Record Office, or the Assizes - records at The National Archives Kew London.

Regards

Valda

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 May 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

WOW - that was quick and thorough!!

Yes, John and Mary are my gg?? grandparents and have actually been well researched in Oz by many people.

Unfortunately I haven't found out what he did wrong to receive a 7yr term in Oz. I'm sure that he stole a horse, chicken or something - seems like it was the usual thing at the time.

The only info I had was that he was tried in "Aylesbury Court on 3rd/6th October 1791 and sentenced to 7 yrs"

I have his ancestry etc - it was only the crime I couldn't find.

Thanks also Valda. I have previously been in touch with Amanda (another "cousin" and descendant of Mayo/Weldon) but Amanda doesn't mention a crime either.

Thanks for your help folks

Di

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 May 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
Both the Assize court and the quarter sessions would have been held in Aylesbury which is the county town of Buckinghamshire, but they were two different courts with two different sets of records.
The system worked with minor courts - Petty sessions with local magistrates - justices of the peace, then quarter sessions (courts held 4 times a year) which dealt with a range of crime but not usually the very serious such as murder, however they did try crimes such as stealing and pass sentence of transportation.  The local county judges sat in these courts. Then there were the Assize courts who tried the serious cases. They were tried by King/Queen's judges who travelled around the country on 'circuits' arriving at the local county towns such as Aylesbury twice a year. As these judges and their clerks were paid for and appointed by the government their records are held at The National Archives whereas the county judges records from the quarter sessions are with the County Record Office. Cases overlapped between the courts and in 1971, both courts which also dealt with civil cases, were abolished and replaced with one set of courts - the Crown courts.

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/holdings/a_c/assizecourts.htm

Regards

Valda

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 May 07 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda,

As usual, you are a wealth of information.

I'll follow up at the Nat Archives and see what may be available.

Thanks
Di