Author Topic: WW2 bombing mystery Ladywell area  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WW2 bombing mystery Ladywell area
« on: Monday 07 May 07 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hi
I have an address of Gordonbrook or Gordonbrock Rd Ladywell. I have a map which shows war damage to apparently 3 houses which were completely destroyed during air raids in the 1940s.

HOW do I find out who lived there? ???
I know someone connected to the family died - probably a civillian- but you cannot search the CWGC without a name!

Anyone got any bright ideas to help me?
Many thanks
Marlene
New Zealand
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 bombing mystery Ladywell area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Go on to the CWGC site. Set the search for 'cemeteries'. Enter 'Lewisham' and three options should come up. Choose Lewisham Metroplitan Borough.  There's several hundred Civilian War Dead there but at least you can go into each entry and check for an address.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 07 12:49 BST (UK) »
Further thought.  That cemetery has about 1000 civilian war dead.  Apparently there were about 2000 in total for Lewisham. The Civilian War Dead register came in printed sheets, each of which could be bought by those interested in particular localities.  They may well still have some available.  If not then I'm sure they could photocopy pages for you. CWGC will also provide customised lists from their computer databases.  Perhaps email them to see what can be done?

You might also take a look at the Lewisham Council website to see what their local studies people can offer.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 07 12:59 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Imber
Thank you ! I didn't realise you could search by cemeteries like that! So I've started ploughing through and written to the Local Studies as well!
Many thanks indeed for prompt, helpful replies!
Regards
Marlene
Down Under!
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »

I don't know if you've seen this Site?

http://dev.bombsight.org/bombs/12977/

It has links to testimonies from people who lived there at the time.

(Btw, I went to Gordonbrock Primary School).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I know it is a while ago now, but have you looked at the 1939 Census?  This will give the details of the residents there.

I too went to Gordonbrock - firstly in the Infants and again when we came back from Scotland in 1948.

Good luck with your search!

Judy

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 November 20 04:14 GMT (UK) »
This post confirms the address "Gordonbrock"

https://themovemarket.com/tools/historicpropertysaledata/se41ja

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 20 04:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1939 everyone (over 21) at home, should be on the Electoral Registers. However I do not want to sound picky but the "1939 Register" was not a census. One purpose was to make sure that some (mostly men) got more food. This probably would not affect Ladywell as it looks like a middle class area. For example in a coal mining area will have Hewers ........ those who were on  the coal face. This allowed more food for them. In the same coal mine the person in a clerical  position would not get extra.

If anyone has seen a Woman "Heavy Worker" on the 1939 Register that would be interesting. I have not found one yet.

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 November 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello barryd.  Yes, I think you are being a little hyper-critical (or picky!).  The Cambridge Dictionary definition of Census says:

"A count for official purposes, especially one to count the number of people living in a country and to collect information about them"

so I think the 1939 "Census" qualifies!!  The reason it is treated differently is because it was not on the regular 10-year Census timeline.  I lived in Ladywell, and it was predominantly working class in our road.

However, this is irrelevant to the topic under discussion.  I was merely trying to help Dale find the answer to his question.