Author Topic: Look up Newlyn East - Emily MAY and Ann MAY  (Read 15185 times)

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up Newlyn East - Emily MAY and Ann MAY
« on: Monday 07 May 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for info on possible marriage or death in Newlyn East for Emily May, born Dec 1859, twin sister of my GGrandmother Clara May.

I have her in 1861 with parents Samuel and Elizabeth and in 1871 in household of Peter and Ann Burt. Can not find her in census after that? There is a Emily May age 18, born Cornwall as a Housemaid in Murray household, Middlesex on 1881 census,  which may be her?

I believe  Clara May her sister is possibly also a servant in Catling  household in Enfield,Middlesex age 21, born Cornwall on 1881 Census.

By 1885 Clara was back in Cornwall and married to James Arthur.

Also looking for parentage/ baptismal record  of Ann May, married to Peter Burt. Believe she was born 1846 in Newlyn according to census. Am pretty sure she is not a sister of Emily and Clara, but believe she is related somehow, possible Aunt or Cousin.

All info much appreciated.

Thanks

Janet

St Columb Minor, St Columb Major, Newlyn East, Torquay. Tregony
Arthur, and related familys :Osborne, Hicks, Edyvean, Henwood, May, Hicks, Carter, Tinney, Thomas, Jutsum. Dixon,
Also Arthur /May in Charville or Roma QLD, Australia,

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Newlyn East - Emily MAY and Ann MAY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I think this may be Ann's baptism although if it is it has been delayed. There is no Ann showing from 1843 till this one and as Sophia is in the household in 1851 I suspect it is her

MAY Ann baptised 7 Oct 1852 Mother Sophia May Single Woman of Newlyn

Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris,

Ann May is listed in 1851 census with Sophia May and Jane May  and in 1861 census with Jane May who is given as her Mother, but believe now  she is  her Grandmother.

The note on the baptismal record that Sophia is a Single woman, clears up my query and perhaps explains why Ann is listed as Jane's and not Sophia daughter on the census.

As Sophia ( or Grace Sophia ) is Jane's daughter. Sophia is sister of Elizabeth May, who married Samuel May, who are the twins  Clara and Emilys parents, so guess Ann and Emily are cousins, and helps me explain why Emily was with the Burt familyin 1871.   

Thanks again

Janet 
Arthur, and related familys :Osborne, Hicks, Edyvean, Henwood, May, Hicks, Carter, Tinney, Thomas, Jutsum. Dixon,

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 07 13:21 BST (UK) »
Glad to have helped with that part of it Janet. Sorry to say I have looked and looked and I can't seem to solve the mystery of Emily either. I have her birth, baptism, 1861 and 1871 Census and from then on nothing. I have thought I had a maybe on later censuses a few times but all proved not to be her. There is no burial in Newlyn 1871-1881 (Pity because there are some interesting little comments on some burial entries during that period - If I can read them like Jane MAY aged 38 of Nancolleth buried 14 Aug 1871 - died suddenly in harvest field, Jane MAY aged 54 of Mine Lane buried 29 Mar 1872 - died suddenly April 1 sent notice to the registration by post ).............Kris  :'(

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
Kris,

Thanks for looking. Will add Emily to the brickwall pile for now and chase down other Mays.

Janet

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 07 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Do you have access to a  marriage listing for Ann May and Peter Burt in Newlyn 1865, which gives her parentage ? Not sure if they recorded this info in Parish records?

Just wondered if Ann father name is noted? As  on her birth cert in 1846,  from GRO, fathers name is given as Jacob Roskilley and then crossed out!!!!  Her mother is Sophia May, of Newlyn - (so at least that is not in dispute) ;D

Thanks

Janet

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

I am sorry I can't help. The CRO are unable to provide marriage records on microfiche after 1837 at this stage, as those records belong to the Registar General. The only way to get that record would be either buy the cert or hope someone is going to the records office and can look it up for you. Sounds like you may have a nice little clue on the birth certificate. Guess you have looked too. The only one I can see is married in St Enoder (he had a child with his wife at the same time as Ann was born).....Sorry I can't help.....Kris  :'(

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Kris.

Yes I had looked at seemed to gather Ann's crossed out father appears to have been married to some one else at the time of her birth?!

Will get marriage cert from GRO and see hope the same fathers name is listed.

Janet

Offline JEA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 September 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, just had to let you know I think I have cracked a brick wall! ;D

I think I have tracked down Emily May of Newlyn East in Queenland Australia -

Emily Dixon, died 1917 Charleville, Queensland, nee May. Parents Samuel and Elizabeth May.

Emily Married a William Nicholson Dixon.

Now to try and track all the records and when she went to Australia and where she married William Dixon!and prove this is her!

I am so pleased as this had come about by breaking down another brickwall which has thrown up a great possible family link which I will now be actively trying to prove or disprove.

How I love this stuff -  5 years on and found at last.

Janet