Author Topic: Campaigne  (Read 2507 times)

Offline mocam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Campaigne
« on: Friday 11 May 07 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thought with a surname like this it would be easy to trace ancesters but how wrong was i every check done on any Irish sites come up with zilch except for a few who migrated to the states but cant link any of mines to them mines were from kingscourt county cavin they came to scotland about 1915 can trace them from there but not before my G Grandfather was John Campaigne spouse was Catherine Reilly he i assume died in Ireland as she came to glasgow after a spell working in London she died in glasgow in 1917 she was a widow then also check on poorlaw records for daughter eliz stated her father was dead this was in 1915
any ideas would be welcome
Mocam

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Campaigne - Cavan, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mocam,

I'm having to look through every message on the One Name Interests as the subject rarely mentions the locaction. This is how I noticed that your ancestors were from Co. Cavan. Griffith's Valuation extracts for Cavan (1856-7) list two families from Kingscourt. The valuations are on John Hayes failteromhat.com website

Samuel Mark Campaign, Kingscourt, (Dunaree), Enniskeen. Cavan
Silvester Turne Campaign, Kingscourt, (Annagh), Enniskeen. Cavan

I think that the Mark and Turne were part of the  Christian names although on the Valuation they are linked to Kingscourt rather than to the names section. 

There were two other Campaign families in Ireland at the time of the Valuation.

Thomas Campaign, Ballynaclose, Enniskeen. Meath
James Campaign, Drumbrackan, Magheracloone. Monaghan

Christopher

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Campaigne
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
It might be worth playing around here --> http://cavan.brsgenealogy.com/

Without paying to see any records, you can get a sense of names and spelling derivatives..

Good luck.