Author Topic: can i find death detail on the web?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
can i find death detail on the web?
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I am desperate to find out when my grandfathers brother died, will i be able to find out off the web, or will i have to send off for his death certicate?.

His name was Arthur Warburton and i have reason to beleive he may have died of wounds in 1917 in the great war, he buried in France, so does this mean ther would be no death certificate in England?

many thanks

jim
WARBURTON, SHELTON, HENDREN, HENDERSON.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: can i find death detail on the web?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 December 04 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

My understanding is that there may well not be a death certificate if he died in action - I can't find one for my relatives who died then.

Have you looked at the commonwealth war graves commission web site? -

http://www.cwgc.org

There are about 5 possiblities for him, and you may be able to pick the right one from the cemetary details. Exact date of death is given there.

Hope this helps

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 December 04 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

I think Angela's suggestion is the best one.

There is no entry on FreeBMD which I assume you've tried http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

You could always try 1837 online, but you will have to pay http://www.1837online.com

By the way I assume you're a Man City fan Jim - I can't say anything derogatory though I'm a Leeds supporter!  ;D

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 04 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Angela, i have tried the cwgc and his name is ther, but i want to find out if it's the right Arthur Warburton, so i thought if i could get hold of his death certificate i would know exactly how and wher he died and the date he died.

you mention one of your relatives who died in the war but is not at the cwgc, it does not surprise me, i know a couple of people who had relatives who died in france but are not on the cwgc list, if i was you i would contact them and give them your relatives details.

cheers Angela.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 04 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Just wondering if you know your gt uncles home town/village - he might be on their memorial and it may have the regiment listed.  Would help narrow it down a bit.

Maybe there is somebody who has the soldiers died 1914-1918 CD - sometimes that has info a little different from CWGC?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 04 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Jim,

There are registers and indexes held by the GRO for deaths of those who served in the armed forces during the two world wars.  I personally have never searched them but the indexes should be available at the FRC and at some large reference libraries.  Not having used 1837online, I can't say how you access them on their site, if they have them there yet.

As with any certificate, there is always the possibility that you choose the wrong certificate to order.  Only if the the name is 100% unique (that's a tautology, but never mind) can you be sure that you have the right person.  I know it goes against the grain to pay out good money if you are uncertain, but our registration system does not allow us to be 100% certain just from an index alone. (Ok, rant over, sorry, but it is frustrating..... :-\)

Have you searched the medal cards online (http://www.documentsonline.national.archives.gov.uk) to see if that can help you determine which Arthur Warburton is yours.  Searching is free, but you pay to download the image.  If all Arthur Warburtons are on the same page you can get six for £3.50!!  If you try to marry up the names on there with those who appear on the CWGC site, you might come up with a lead.  Do you know his likely regiment?  Also sometimes the CWGC show details of address or relatives, but unfortunately not always.  This could also help you to eliminate some of the possibles.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 December 04 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

I think Angela's suggestion is the best one.

There is no entry on FreeBMD which I assume you've tried http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

You could always try 1837 online, but you will have to pay http://www.1837online.com

By the way I assume you're a Man City fan Jim - I can't say anything derogatory though I'm a Leeds supporter!  ;D

Best wishes

Ticker

Ticker, how are you? a Leeds fan?, well we all have our cross to bear i suppose ;D

On a more serious note, you say thay the free BMD did not have anything for Arthur Warburton, so it's a slight possible
that it may be the relation i'm looking for?.
If i may explain a little, and would appreciate your view on what i have found.
My grandfather and his brothers were born in manchester.
my grandfather was to young to enlist in the army, but i'm trying to find out if his brothers did.  At the outbreak of war his brothers Charles and Arthur would have been 16 and 17.
i have no idea if any of them enlisted or died in the war.
But today i came across an A. and a C. Warburton.
'A.' Warburton enlisted in 1915 and died of wounds in 1917.
'C' Warburton enlisted in 1917 and survived, and they both have the same address, higher sheffield street, Ardwick, manchester,and my own father was born and brought up in Ardwick.
What's the chances of them being my granfathers brothers?

cheers Ticker

jim

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 December 04 21:55 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mcfc...had a look at 1837online for you but there is only one Arthur Warburton reg at all in 1916/17/18 and he is a child of 0 from Wortley.No other deaths of an Arthur maybe he was originally reg a different birth name and buried as such if you are sure of the def. year of death unless never died in England at all.

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline mcfc1923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 December 04 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Nell

Tried the medal cards online and have a list of possibles that i need to check out, and then a matter of elimination.

wonder if they have an overseas registration?

thanks Nell

jim