Author Topic: Were they married and where did they go  (Read 4538 times)

Offline ROSEPIP

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Were they married and where did they go
« on: Thursday 11 March 04 11:11 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Edward Arthur born in Montgomeryshire around 1844  supposedly married a Sarah Humphries, their first child Isaac was born in 1870 in stourbridge in Worcestershire , where they seem to settle, had 2 more children Harry 1874 and Sarah 1876
None of them appear on the 1881 census , but by 1891 Edward has another wife MAry Ann.
cannot find a marriage or a death for Sarah or a birth for either of them any ideas out there. I do not think the census for 1871 is available yet.
This personal  brick wall has no chinks in it at the moment

Rose Pippard :)
stoppard, cater, pinson, arthur, jinks, smith   Birmingham area
pippard, kitson, geard, rugg. montacute, cox  . somerset , bristol and gloucestershire area

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Were they married and where did they go
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 04 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Sarah and Mary Ann were one and the same person. Names are often confused. I have found one of my gtgt Grandfathers on 3 census returns with three different names!

Do you have any birth certificates for the children?
Do you have a death cert for Edward? If so what are the details on it? Who was present at the death etc

If sarah was Sarah perhaps they did not marry

Do you have a record for a marriage of Edward to Mary Ann?

Give me as much information as you can and I'll have a 'think it you like

Gill Rice N. Wales
Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline GillSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 04 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found the birth record of Sarah Ann Humphries (or Williams?) on 5 December 1847 at Tredegar, Mons to Isaac Humphries and Sarah Wood

I'm not sure what to make of the or Williams

If Sarah was Sarah Ann perhaps the 1891 census had got her name wrong and confused Mary with Sarah. My feeling is that Mary Ann and Sarah Ann could be the same person

Regards Gill

Calvert Scotland<br />Coleman Ireland, Flynn Co. Mayo.<br />Gough Ireland,O'Brien,Ireland Smith, Todd Scotland, Tovey Wales and Bedminster, Donley Ireland and Cumbria, Morrine Scotland,Grierson Scotland,Maban Scotland,Bell Scotland, McKie. Hurse from Somerset. Scotland.<br />Johnston Scotland.<br />Hope Scotland<br />Rea Scotland<br />Jardine,Elliot Scotland,Almond,Smith England, Hodges Cheshire.<br />Thompson Northern Ireland,<br />Ireland,Scotland and Wales

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 04 21:33 GMT (UK) »
>Isaac was born in 1870 in stourbridge in Worcestershire .

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ROSEPIP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 04 08:17 GMT (UK) »
THanks for all the replies, the story so far is as follows

I have Sarah Arthur born 1876 (my grandma) married to ALbert Stoppard in 1903 her father is down as Edward Arthur.

Have Sarah and Isaacs birth certificates with Edward Arthur and Sarah Humphreys(Humphries ) as their Mother. There is aslo another child HArry born 1874 No cert for him.

None of these on 1881 census as far as I can see

I have a photo of Sarah Arthur (Grandma) with her parents on her 21st birthday,  on the back just to confuse my mother had written
Sarah with her Mother and Stepfather, cannot check with anyone as I have no living relatives. I assumed my mum , might have got it wrong

Edward is on the 1901 census with Mary Ann and Harry

I have had an e mail from a distant relative of Isaac who says he thought that Issacs mother was called Sarah,

Apart from that I am stuck

Edward born  about 1844 in Berriew MOntgomeryshire  on the1901  census  Mary Ann born   Brierly Hill Staffordshire about 1829,
I have just noticed that they have put Brierly Hill in Staffordshire , but on the 1881 census it is in Worcestershire

Hope this answers all the questions

Rosie
pippard, kitson, geard, rugg. montacute, cox  . somerset , bristol and gloucestershire area

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 04 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Possibilities:
Edward Arthur was a bigamist;

Sarah and Edward never even made it up the aisle, Is there a death for a Sarah Humphries in the right time period? (1876-1891)

Harry was born to Mary Ann before she met Edward, and so his birth is under the surname that she was using in 1874.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ROSEPIP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 04 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline, could be a possibility, Harry was the middle child, My grandma was the last to be born in 1876 and I noticed I put Mary Ann born 1829 should have been 1849
Have looked through the St catherines index for Marriage of Edward and Sarah and also right back to 1840 for a Birth of Sarah Humphries , to no avail
The search continues.

Thanks
rosei