Author Topic: Birt.  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Elton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birt.
« on: Wednesday 16 May 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have Oliver Henry Thomas 1870c from Bream who's father is THOMAS BIRT????? can anyone help?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birt.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Elton

What information are you looking for?  On the 1871 census there is a suitable family in Bream - no Oliver yet though.  Do you have this?

RG10; Piece: 5298; Folio: 134; Page: 9

Hmm, just looked at this family in 1881 and there is no Oliver there either - is your info from a marriage cert?  What else does it say, if so (father's occupation, witnesses etc)

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Elton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I only have Olivers Marriage  certificate,his father Thomas Birt was a Collier.I just don't know where to start.

Janice.

Witness Richard Jones and Mary Howells.  He married Clara Howells whose family I know,but I know nothing about Oliver at all

Offline Elton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Surnames Thomas and Birt.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Edit: topics merged to prevent duplication of effort

I have Oliver Henry Thomas born 1874c in Bream who was adopted???and on his marriage certificate put Thomas Birt as his father.I have got on 1891 census
Thomas Birt 41 B Bream Colliery Labourer
Elizabeth (Gassman) b Germany age 32
Henry Birt 3 b Bream
Maria Birt 1 b Bream.

Can anyone help please I don't know where to start with this one.

Janice.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames Thomas and Birt.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice

What other info does the marriage cert give - is there an occupation for Thomas, or is he deceased?

Did I see another thread about Oliver recently? Edit: have merged topics (thought it sounded familiar!)

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 07 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice

I've been having a good hunt round this morning on this one. Your Oliver is EXTREMELY elusive, isn't he  ::)

Does the marriage certificate give an age for Oliver? Reason for asking is that there's an Oliver Thomas (b abt 1874 in Bream) living in 1891  as an adopted son of George and Esther Smith ??? in West Dean. Ref RG12 4339 Folio 33 Page 19.

I know - it gets worse! That family is interesting, not least because of the apparent;y huge age gap between George and Esther. If you look them up in Ancestry, be prepared for the fact that the index links to the wrong page (22) so you have to go back three pages to find the family.

I did wonder if Oliver's Mum had been married several times and perhaps not married Oliver's Dad? I've got a number of families where the child of a previous marriage (or an illegitimate one) takes the name of the mother's subsequent husband and the sometimes reverts on their marriage certificate and sometimes not......

I couldn't find a birth index reference to any Oliver born in an appropriate registration district in the 1870s, so I think the best bet is to hope that the family weren't non-conformists and that Oliver was baptised in Bream.

I think there's a website with transcriptions of Forest of Dean records on but I can't find it at the moment - will add it when I do. Otherwise, someone might have a look at the record office for you....

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 May 07 12:24 BST (UK) »
Forest of Dean site

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 May 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nicky - just beat me to it  ;D

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Elton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 May 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for all that information,on Olivers marriage certificate it stated he was 23yrs that was in 1897  at St Pauls Church Parkend.This one looks like being fun.

Thanks again
Janice