Author Topic: Brig Nellie in St George's Dock LIVERPOOL  (Read 2857 times)

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brig Nellie in St George's Dock LIVERPOOL
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
 PLEASE, can anyone help me, I would be interested  to find out more about the brig that my Grt, grt grandfather served on as 2nd Mate and to also find out more about his life as a mariner and the places he visited.
His name was Samuel Adams, he was found dead on board the Brig Nellie 18 Mar 1876 St Georges Dock, Liverpool. He died of natural causes and was taken to "The Dead House " Liverpool !!
I dont know where to start to find out about his seafaring life.Can someone put me on the correct path.
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brig Nellie in St George's Dock LIVERPOOL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello jsearch
If Samuel was a merchant seaman there is isn't a lot you can find out about his time at sea.Unlike the Royal Navy who keep records of every Sailor.The Merchant didn't,Merchant seamen mostly worked for private boat/Ship owners.Some were in the R.N.R.So counted a Royal Navy.There might have been a report in  a newspaper of the time in liverpool.My Grandfather died the same way in 1947 he was retired but his ship was in dock. So he went to visit and had a heart attack on the deck,and i know nothing about his time in at sea.Apart from a bit of information i found in a ships log in the Maritime museum.Someone on the armed forces page might be able to help with finding the ships owner or shipping line.So you can find out where the ships & crew records are kept.If it was a liverpool ship records might be at the Albert dock.Cant think of anything or i would be able to find mine as well ;)

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 07 20:04 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Celia for your help.You have given me some good ideas for research,I will follow it all up. I have previously phoned the Maritime Museum Liverpool ,who said they couldn't help,but as you say you found some info there, I may visit there personally one day and search their records.Good Luck with your reseach!
                          (Joy)        Jsearch
Adams from Belfast Ireland and Liverpool. Sergeant from Liverpool. Smith from Liverpool. Stubbs, Jackson, Lynch from Lancaster and Liverpool. Graham from Workington Cumberland and Birkenhead Cheshire. Jackson from Chatham Kent and Birkenhead Cheshire. Holmes from Birkenhead Cheshire.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy
the only reason i found that scrap of information in the ships logbook.Was because i had only just started my first tree (a few years ago) Like you i wanted to find out about his sea records I walked straight into a brick wall,(been there ever since 6?7 years.) I was trying to squeeze some information out of my elderly mother one day,who was at that age when she could remember things about her dad when she was at school. then young woman, but she couldn't remember if she had her dinner or not ;D The only thing she could remember at the time was a blue flag with a white cross.It was easy to trace the flag,Brocklbank if i remember rightly.Phoned the Maritime library asked about brocklbank,they had a log book !, so i had it order it because it was in a box. With years of dust on top ;D No one was more suprised then me when i saw granddads name in the book :) Hope you find something in your travels.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy,

I have just found this site:-  http://palmm.fcla.edu/juv/juvAuthorList.html

The book is called, Uncle John's First Shipwreck or The Loss of The Brig Nellie. By Author, Charles Bruce, published 1880.

You can down load it from this site. I didn't, so I don't know if it's of any use. It's certainly worth a try.

Let me know how you get on.

Red   :D
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 07 16:14 BST (UK) »
As Matter of interest i have just had a look at the site,it takes a long time to download each page.So patients is required ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 June 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
Wasn't so bad for me.

Unfortunately it appears not to be the full book, just the first page of each chapter, plus the covers etc.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline redkop

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Freddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 07 17:59 BST (UK) »

I wonder if it's possible to order it?

Red   :-\
MCLENNAN - Inverness Scotland and Liverpool
WHITTAKER - Offaly Ireland
MILLER. HURST, BALL. DUTTON. BIBBY, MORGAN, GASKELL - Liverpool
ELLIS - Plymouth, Devon
COLLINS - Bishops Castle, Shropshire.
MASON. MILLER - Runcorn/Chester
ROWLAND - Widnes, Lancs.
CHARLTON - Bury, Lancs
GREGGS - Cumbria
BRISCOE - SHERLOCK - Cheshire
VOCE - Warrington, Lancs

Offline jsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 June 07 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Redkop,
Many,many, thanks for finding this for me. I went on the site and downloaded the story. It was really interesting to read ,the complete story can be viewed, an insight to how it was on board at the time,and  I could picture how life would of been for my ancestor,when he was  on board ship.
It is a historical children's story, I have contacted the publishers to find out if it is a true story or fictional and based on facts,hope to receive a reply and that it is a true story,would be great to know this is grt grt grandfathers ship,and to find out more about it.It is possible to order it online.
                    Joy ,(Jsearch)