Author Topic: Thomas BORER  (Read 3056 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas BORER
« on: Monday 21 May 07 19:33 BST (UK) »
I'm widening my search for Thomas BORER  born approx 1771.  He married in Staplehurst, Kent in 1792 saying he was of the parish of Wateringbury but I can't find a baptism for him there. :(

The IGI has a Thomas BORER baptised at East Grinstead in 11 April 1770.  Does anyone know of a marriage for this Thomas so I can discount him?
There is also a Thomas BORAH baptised 15 January 1769 at Chelsfield.  It would be nice to discount him too.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BORER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 07 20:09 BST (UK) »
There don't seem to be any suitable marriages on the Sussex Marriage Index.  Only  one after 1772 and that is in 1818 in Rotherfield.   
The fact that the marriage says of Wateringbury only means he was there at that time.  Not that he was born there.  You will have to widen the search and check all the nearby parish registers.   A long job but you may find him.  Have a look to see which ones are not on the IGI and start with those.  Your nearest LDS centre will be able to order films for you to search if you cannot get to the record office.   Good luck!
Andrea

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 07 20:22 BST (UK) »
You're right - Was hoping someone might have a simpler solution as the IGI for Kent is rather patchy. :(
Thanks for the look-up in the Sussex Marriage Index. :)
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat

Checked the Surrey Marriage Index too as a long shot but nothing there either.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 07:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Kerry,

BOORER is a Sussex name but there were some in Surrey.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:57 BST (UK) »
Interestingly enough there was a Thomas Borer who married in Horley 1772 who abode was East Grinstead.  But I figured that was a bit too previous for yours :o :o :o of the 1770 one.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 19:59 BST (UK) »
Re the Bowrahs (note the change in spelling)

Mine come from Ashurst Wood (South East of East Grinstead) but I deduce from their daughter Elizabeth's marriage to my Thomas Betchley, they also seem to have economic links with the Thames east of London. 

To my knowledge the Bowrahs always resided on the North East Sussex - Kent border and seemed to be land owning yeoman.  Play around with the spelling a bit, and if the name "Ralph" suddenly appears in your ancestry, we may have a link.

Roy G

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
Roy,

Yes there are lots of variants which doesn't make it easy to track them down.

There is a BOORER (& variants) one name study.

I've not found any RALPHs yet.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
Kerry,

That Thomas is a bit early but may be related if only I get a little further back.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE