Author Topic: I'm new to this forum  (Read 1688 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
I'm new to this forum
« on: Monday 21 May 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody.
Until now I've been researching the Scottish side of my family and have neglected my Irish connections (my dad's mum's parents came over to Glasgow from Co Down).
I've ignored this side because everyone told me there were no decent Irish records.
Having just looked through a lot of the posts in "Resources" and briefly visited some of the recommended sites, it looks as though I was ill advised.
I'm looking forward to spending some time trying to find out what I can about the side of my family I've neglected.
I've only been using Rootschat for a short while and am very impressed at how useful it has been and how friendly and helpful the community is.
I look forward to speaking with some of you.
Dave
PS The family name is Rooney - how hard is that going to be I wonder.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new to this forum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome daval57

I'm sure you will get lots of help with your family from someone
Good Luck

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Daval57
According to the Birth Index of Ireland for 1890 (got it from the library), there were 43 Rooney entries for 1890 in Ulster (split between Down and Antrim) - this is a book which gives you some indication of how common a surname was, and in what counties it was most prevalent.   43 means the surname is easier to pin down your relatives - I'm reasearching Kelly (267 in Ulster alone) and Hughes (180 in Ulster).

You could check out www.emeraldancestors.com and www.ancestryireland.com - both are pay sites but have basic free search facilities and I have found them both really useful.

Hope this helps
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for replying.  Nice to hear from you.
Jaylay, I thought I'd try Emerald Ancestors and invested £9.99 for a months membership.
Thought I'd check for something I knew first.
First search I did was my gg grandparents.  I knew their details from death records and Glasgow census and that they came from Co Down.  However, I got their marriage at my first search. 
So, I now know when they were married and that they were married in Shankhill, Belfast.  A good start and quite morale boosting.  It probably helps that I knew some of the details but it was still very pleasing.
Thanks for the site recommendation.
Dave   
-------------------

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave
Delighted to hear of your success - yes it is a real boost when you have an 'early' success - helps keep you going through all the brick walls!

I've had more luck with Ancestry Ireland than Emerald Ancestors, but I think it depends on the parishes and years you're looking for - just a matter of luck really!

Good luck
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
Some interesting Belfast Rooneys on Ros Davies website ie /freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hiya Dave,

Welcome to RootsChat.

There's another site you might consider joining. It's another free site ... Belfast Forum. Not all the members on that site are members of RootsChat. The advantage in being a member of that site is that a lot of the members live or did live in Belfast. Between them they know a lot of people. You may meet one online who knows of a Rooney family who may be able to assist you.

Christopher

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 00:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the hints / help / friendship so far.
Christopher, you are by far too helpful.
I'll give the link you sent a shot.

What is the etiquette for asking favours/ looking up stuff? 

Gran - Emma Rooney (born Glasgow b 1886)
Wilson Rooney b.c 1857 Co Down? m Eliz. Ann McLaren
William Rooney b.c. 1832 m Mary Ann Major (McJury?) Down / Antrim?
They came to Glasgow c1875-80

I really just want pointed in the correct direction.

Tried Emerald Ancestors - brilliant result for the first couple of searches but it seems far too expensive to apply for documents when they may have no relevance.........

Suggestions required for a Newby

Dave 

-------------------

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

The etiquette is the same as asking a friend to do you a favour. Send a message saying "Hi", tell them your problem and ask if they would mind looking for the information you require. When they reply send a message thanking them for sending the information. Everyone on Rootschat is a friend or a potential friend. That's what makes this site so popular. I think a couple of Rooney queries have already been posted. If I'm correct there's one from a member wanting information on Annie Rooney from Ballykinlar in East Down on this board.

Wilson Rooney makes me think that there may have been a Wilson / Rooney marriage in your family.

That marriage at a church in the Shankhill parish, Belfast could point to the family living in a part of Co. Down close to Belfast rather than in East Down or South Down.

Have you had a look at the Ros Davies site? I've just looked and see several variations of Major, McJury ... Majore, Majorie, Majourie, Majury ... there are several other ones that might apply.

If you do a cross check on Irish Ancestors Surname Search for Rooney and Majury you'll see the only place in Ireland where those two names were found in the one parish between 1848 to 1864 was Belfast city. On the other hand if the name was Major the two names appeared in several parishes ... Antrim, Armagh, Belfast city, Derry, Down, Dublin city, Longford, Louth and Tyrone. I haven't even checked the alternative spellings. 

Christopher