Author Topic: How Names change  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Amyou

• RootsChat Member
  • Charles Stone, GG Grandfather, 1819 to 1916
    • View Profile
How Names change
« on: Tuesday 22 May 07 14:26 BST (UK) »
The family name Youers from High Wycombe Buckinghamshire appears to have changed from Yours to Youers with Thomas Yours who married Ellen Turner in 1861. He seems to have started to use Youers soon after his marriage and his son William, born 1861 was listed as Youers. Do you think it was because he was illiterate and just said his name? I'm trying to work out if James and Ann Yours were Thomas' parents. They were in the 1841 census. :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Names change
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello and a warm welcome to Rootschat :)

It could well be that the spelling of the name was inadvertently changed because William was illiterate and any writing was done by others on a phonetic basis.  Another possible explanation is that he decided to change the spelling in order to distinguish him from somebody else with the same name - this sometimes happened where extended families lived close together and drew from a small pool of given names, and so cousins often had the same name as one another.

Names were much more fluid in the 19th century than they are now.  In my family Newland gradually turned into Newlyn, Newsome into Newsham and Markham into Markin (and back!).  In all these cases I'm sure it was a lack of literacy rather than a deliberate decision to change the name.  Actually I find it interesting as a clue to how they pronounced their names.

Anna  :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Amyou,

Lots of name changes in my family, and I also put it down to illiteracy and local pronunciation, eg. Abbs changed to Ebbs, Civil changed to Sivel, Sivil, Sivill, Sivills, Seville and so on.  Another family I'm researching went from McKeeny to just Keeny and back again..... :)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to work out if James and Ann Yours were Thomas' parents. They were in the 1841 census. :)

Have you got Thomas and Ellen's marriage cert, giving his age and father's name and occupation?  Then Thomas' birth cert should clinch the parents' names

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 16:03 BST (UK) »

As well I have found the name for another Rootschatter who is researching the names mis-spelt as Youens...

1851 High Wycombe ho107/1719 f118 sch0039

St Mary's St.

James Yours hd m m 40 Tetsworth Shoemaker
 Ann               wi f m 40 Thame
 George          so m u 19 Wycombe chairseat maker
 James            so m u 16 Wycombe chair caner
 Thomas         so m u 15 Wycombe chairtop caner
 Henry Hearne lo m u 19 Wooburn chairtop maker
 Francis Hearne lo m u 16 Wooburn french polisher.

looks like the boys were running their own workshop!

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
At this time a large proportion of the population of High Wycombe was employed in chair making and so one would expect to find all of the members of a family employed in the industry.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Amyou

• RootsChat Member
  • Charles Stone, GG Grandfather, 1819 to 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 07 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help on name changes. I hadn't thought about people changing names to distinguish themselves from cousins etc. I'm sure pronunciation had a great deal to do with name changes as well.

Thank you again

Ann