Author Topic: Holes Coals  (Read 4416 times)

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holes Coals
« on: Tuesday 22 May 07 19:41 BST (UK) »
Anyone remember this in Luton, Beds?

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holes Coals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
It's not something I remember as I was did not live in Luton,  but could it be linked to Wm Holes, coal merchants, at 3 Gordon Street, Luton, and also at 107 Biscot Road, Luton, as listed in my 1936 Kelly's directory of Bedfordshire,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline 0rinoco

• RootsChat Senior
  • ggg Uncle John Artus (seated)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello. I live in Luton and I used to see the Holes coal lorries almost on a daily basis. However, I think the firm, which was in Gordon Street, has now finished trading.
Artus, anywhere UK
Gabb, Glos.
Wathern, Glos.
Littleton, Glos.

Offline AB_Stopsley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 April 23 22:04 BST (UK) »
I know I'm slightly late contributing to this threat, like a mere 16 years or whatever it is, but yes, I remember Holes Coles clearly.  It was on the left hand side of Gordon Street as you walk up from St. George's Square (which wasn't there in those days!).  My mum used to take pre-school-aged me down there each autumn in the early sixties to order the family coal for the winter. A ton of anthracite if I remember rightly.  The shop had lots of what I seem to remember were like china dishes displaying different types of coal from which you could choose. 

A few days later the coal lorry would arrive at our house in Stopsley and I'd be tasked with standing at the back door and counting the 20 sacks (a hundredweight each) out loud as the men tipped them into the coal bunker.  I can still smell that coal now, both as they tipped it from the sacks and when it smokes away on the fire.  Within less than 10 years it had been replaced by North Sea Gas.  "This will last until about 2020", they said (right), "Then well all go back to Town Gas" (wrong!)