Author Topic: Family HASE - Location??  (Read 927 times)

Offline Rosalyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family HASE - Location??
« on: Sunday 05 December 04 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I have recently found LOUISA HASE to be the wife of my gt-gt grandfather, Edward Harradine.  I believe they married in Lambeth in 1855 and have just sent off for the Certificate.

On the 1861 Census (when both are aged 26), his birthplace is Hertfordshire, Hinxworth.  I cannot read hers but assume it is also in Herts.

Does anyone know where the HASE family come from?

Does anyone recognise this lady?

Any help much appreciated.

Rosalyn

England: Atkin, Barker, Cohen, Flatau, Gardner, Harradine, Rodway, Tennant, Woolf.

Wales: Morgan, Morris, Phillips, Thomas, Wogan.

Ireland : Dennehy

Scotland: Gardner

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Family HASE - Location??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 04 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Rosalyn

Having looked at this entry on the 1861 census. RG9/182 Folio 83a, I think that her birthplace is Guise Leigh (Guisely Yorkshire perhaps?) or even possibly Glouc Leigh (Leigh in Gloucestershire) 

Rick
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosalyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 04 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Rick

Many thanks!  Yes, that's the entry alright and I have been puzzling about it for weeks!  Decided 2nd word was 'Leigh' and first began with a 'G' and there was probably an 'i' in it somewhere but that was it.............I ran out of ideas!! 

Think you must be right about Guise Leigh/Guisely, Yorks.  I had always associated this family with London, due to the research I have done to date.

However, I have just realised that there is already a tenuous link with Yorkshire with this family.  When their son, William Edward Harradine, was serving in India with the Army, on his Army Record it gives two sisters, Hannah and Lucretia, residing in York at the time.  I wondered why..........thanks to you, it now makes sense.......................because their mother, Louisa, originated there.  Certainly William was born in London and I now have Lucretia's Birth Cert (Holborn) and Marriage Cert (Islington), when she married a gentleman from ......York!

I think poor old Edward may have died in 1862, so maybe Louisa went home.  Am awaiting various BMD certs which will throw more light on them all!

These Harradines have been a brick wall for so long...............at last I am breaking that wall down!

I am indebted to you for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Rosalyn
England: Atkin, Barker, Cohen, Flatau, Gardner, Harradine, Rodway, Tennant, Woolf.

Wales: Morgan, Morris, Phillips, Thomas, Wogan.

Ireland : Dennehy

Scotland: Gardner

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Rosalyn

You are very welcome.  I was glad to help.

Good luck with your research

Rick :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk