Author Topic: Family Reunion Suggestions Wanted  (Read 4635 times)

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family Reunion Suggestions Wanted
« on: Saturday 26 May 07 07:17 BST (UK) »
I am thinking of organising a fairly large scale family reunion and looking for suggestions, tips and hoping to hear about other people's family reunion experiences.

Amanda  :)

Offline justme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family Reunion Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 07 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
One arm of my husband's family held a reunion on a family members farm. They were in the " hire " business so were able to have a marquee at a very reasonable cost. Many invitations were sent out ( they had done a lot of homework ) and we had to RSVP because they organized food. We paid them an amount to cover costs. All of this was a huge amount of work. Another reunion I attended was held at a country community oval and everyone brought their own picnic. It was a fabulous day. We were told of the day by "word of mouth ".
Lots of luck with it. I'm sure you will have a great day.

Del
MORRISON  (Co Down Ireland, USA, Australia)
COX (Brighton Sussex)   
McGUINNESS (Kings Co & Co Clare) 
MALONEY  (Co Clare) 
GUNNY
LYNCH

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 07 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanada

A couple of such reunions have been held by my family - sadly before I was vaguely interested! but I gather there was alot of work in organising same. They were both held in open space (park & showground) and catering was done as "bring your own", although accommodation etc was organised for folks travelling from a distance. Everyone was to register before the event & the organiser had the family tree broken into sections & everyone received their "own" section & a list of who was there from their own branch of the family - (breaking a family into the branches was a decision made by the organiser - in one instance it related to a family that arrived in 1833 & each branch was a child of the original settlers)

Again, for the non locals, tours of local family spots were organised to take place on other days - apart from the "get together" day.

What you do, and how much, would really depend on numbers - it may be a good idea to post a query in the Common Room (or get the mod to move this one) as folks outside the Oz board may have some ideas to add as well

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 07 04:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions both of you.  Trish, I have asked the mods to move the thread to the common room as per your suggestion - thanks.

Amanda

Moderator comment: moved to the Common Room (Lighter side) by request

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 May 07 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hello  there

I  can only add to all your god advice.

Not from my own personal experience but by my good friends family  reunion.
Whilst everyone enjoyed themselves in a park named after their first ancestor in Australia, she said there was a bit of moaning going on etc .about the distance to travel the food the flies, some bloody whingers amongest them.

So remember the old adage

"You can't please everyone"  so you can only do your best and relax and enjoy your self
hope it all goes well

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 07 06:24 BST (UK) »
Amanda,
where about in Sydney there, and how many would be going, only other things is a Park where they have bar a Q and if children going place where they could play or Clubs there that would be costly there but.

My mother's reunion was is a big park there where the every thing was there and it was good there like B.Y.O food   
and that, I hope this dose not turn you off from having one there but I found it was good way there with my mother's side.

depens on money there Amanda. Hoq many will turn up thats the big ? there .

It Irish I know .
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 May 07 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda

A while back I helped my Mum's family organise a reunion in North Queensland.

Mum is one of 13 children, and the families are all scattered across Australia and some overseas.  It was decided to go back to the town where the 13 were all born.  Each of the 13 was responsible for passing along information to their branch of the family.  Those who confirmed that they were coming were asked to bring  some food, drinks, chairs, tables, etc, etc.   A list was kept of who was bringing what.  We hired a sports ground that had a reasonably sized building with a cold room and food preparation areas.  We had permission to camp or set up caravans on site. 

It was a big job to organise, and there were problems with things being forgotten, but all in all it was a fantastic event with about 250 people attending over three days.  We went over the Easter long weekend which gave people time to travel if necessary. 

Well worth the effort ... took about 2 years to get sorted out... would recommend it to anyone.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 May 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
We've had several family reunions on my dad's side and one thing we have started doing for about a year before is to send out a monthly or bimontly "newsletter." it's nothing fancy, but updates on the event, and tells stories about the family, both past and present. It helped get people excited for the events and updated people on who is who.

I am thinking of planning one for a branch on my mom's side, but I am worried there won't be interest with all the people. it isn't a huge family so I don't know how much it would work if most everyone didn't come.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 May 07 04:55 BST (UK) »
Amanda,
where about in Sydney there, and how many would be going, only other things is a Park where they have bar a Q and if children going place where they could play or Clubs there that would be costly there but.

My mother's reunion was is a big park there where the every thing was there and it was good there like B.Y.O food   
and that, I hope this dose not turn you off from having one there but I found it was good way there with my mother's side.

depens on money there Amanda. Hoq many will turn up thats the big ? there .

It Irish I know .

We actually thinking of having it in Southern New South Wales (Australia), it will be in honour of my Great Great Grandparents 150th wedding anniversary, in the town they got married in.  They had at least 9 children who in turn had lots of children too (my grandma was one of 11 children, some Uncles/Aunties had more than that) so theres no telling at this stage just how many descendants there actually are.  These descendants have not only spread state wide but interstate and in the case of at least one branch - over seas too.

At this stage we will probably go to the church they were married in to start with, then hold some sort of reception afterwards.  We thought of a park but since people would be coming from such long distances we will need an all weather alternative so possibly a hall or similar.  This of course will depend on numbers.

We in the infant stages of planning as its about 18 months away but since there's branches of the family that we still need to find etc I thought we should start the planning early.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and any others too would be greatly appreciated.

Amanda  :)