Author Topic: HASTINGS C18th - Dumfries or Kirkudbright  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HASTINGS C18th - Dumfries or Kirkudbright
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 June 07 12:49 BST (UK) »
Whoo - hoo!!

That's a gem!  I can happily go off and Google those place names.  I wonder if there are b&bs nearby....?

Thank you so much!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 June 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
The nearest that I can get to any Burnside in Kirkpatrick Durham is on John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland, 1832:

http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/459.html

If you select the top section and zoom in, it's just to the NE of Crogo.

It might also be worth having a look around this one:

http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/os_scotland_2nd_ed_index.html

OS 1 ins- second edition, 1898-1904. Select the Maxwelltown sheet and prepare to get funny eyes  :-\

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 June 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
It also just so happens that I'm going down to the homeland at the end of the month. Now I know exactly where the grave is (from the plan), I could take a photo for you  :)

Burnside of Minneydow is a different matter - if you can find it, I'll snap it  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Raptor998

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 September 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots and everyone else. Having just joined after reading your thread, I too am interested in the Hastings of KKD and may have a link of interest.

My great great grandfather, Archibald Hastings is the son of John Hastings and Elizabeth (nee McMillan).

I have a copy of his marriage certificate (1863) at the age of 23. At this time his father, a grain miller, is listed as deceased.

Both Archibald and his new wife Mary (nee Selkirk) are listed with a usual residence of Maxwelltown.

I am assuming therefore that Archibald is the brother of John (your relative) and that we have a common ancestor in John Hastings Snr and his Father (according to your post) Archibald born in 1739.

If this is indeed the case I would be grateful for any information you may possess on this line of the Hastings.

Of course if you need any of my somewhat limited information I would be more than willing to help.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 07 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Raptor - welcome to Rootschat!

Your Archibald and his twin Harry appear to have been the last of eleven children born to John and Elizabeth.  It looks as though Harry died before 1841.

I haven't pursued the siblings and neither did I make it to the area on my way past this summer, sadly.  That's for another day.

Most of what I know is on these two threads, but by all means PM me if you want to know more.  Meanwhile I will see what I have got!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
And sadly, despite spending about an hour in the graveyard, I couldn't find the grave. I think it's buireid in moss and lichen  :( :( :(

I know where it's not  :-\

Gadget