Author Topic: Mc cormack or maKinnon iona or mull  (Read 6416 times)

Offline climbert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mc cormack or maKinnon iona or mull
« on: Wednesday 30 May 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
need help my grandparents died when my mother was 8 they were living in Glasgow at the time . but her mother was from Iona and it may be that the children were taken to family in either Iona or mull . l am truly stuck l cant find any trace of the family from 1915 when my grand mother died my mothers name was Catherine mackinnon o´Kane   and my grandmothers was Marion McCormick born in Iona 1875  her older sister was married to a John mackinnon

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: maccormack iona or mull
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Climbert

Given the period you are looking at, it will be hard for people to help with searches because you are outside of the time frame where people can do on-line searches (census and BMDs). Hopefully someone may recognise the names from their own personal history.

Good luck  :)

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline climbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: maccormack iona or mull
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
thank Monica that what l am hopėng for , there is only so much l can do on line and as live in Spain ,thats why lam stuck but am hoping to come home for a short break  later this year and hoping to visit Iona and mull ???

Offline MullGenealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mc cormack or maKinnon iona or mull
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I think this is your family :-

Donald MCCORMICK
   Birth :     1 Jul 1830
   Baptised :    
   Died :     1911
   Buried :
   Father :     James MCCORMICK
   Mother :     Catherine MCARTHUR
   Marriage 1 :     Ann MCCALLUM 
   Children    Catherine    abt 1857    -    
    James    abt 1859    -    
    Mary Ann    1861    -    
    Neil    abt 1864    -    
    Dugald    abt 1866    -    
    John    abt 1868    -    26 Oct 1949
    Marion    abt 1870    -    

Full details are on www.mullgenealogy.co.uk

All the best
MacKechnie, McEachern, Isle of Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland

Offline climbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
yes  that them ,l found the mull site it wonderful but l would dearly like to know what happened to my mother after my grandmother died  eve

Offline gommecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Rather a long time since the last message but I suspect we are related though my spelling is MacCormick.  My father was born on Iona in 1921 and one of our family is doing a project for a MacCormick web site.  To date he was a database of approaching 200 names one of which is a Marion MacCormick, though I have no further details than that.

If you pick this up perhaps we can exchange details at some point so that we can track down who is who.
Men of the 56th (1st London) and 46th (North Midland) Divisions in 1916

Offline climbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
hi sorry its been so long been so busy that lve not had time to check my posts it was lovely to get yours l always get exited to get possible links .my grandmother Marion was married to James o`Kane in Glasgow 1900 her parents were Donald MacCormack , Ann MacCalum if you think we have a link let me know and l will give you what l have looking forward to hearing from you eve

Offline gommecourt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 November 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been trying to use the Mull Genealogy site but there is a lot missing and I don't find it especially easy to follow.  What I can say is that I believe my great grandfather was William MacCormick (my name) born1 Aug 1868, Isle of Iona and died  20 (I have 29) Oct 1915 in an accident on board HMS Hannibal.  He was a Chief Engine Room Artificer 1st Class in the Royal Navy and the family had moved to the Medway where my grandfather Ewen MacDonald MacCormick went to school at Rochester.  He trained to be a teacher and having been seriously wounded in the Great War and, rather shockingly (for then), got my grandmother pregnant before they were married they returned discreetly to Iona where my grandfather was the school teacher and my father was born there in September 1921 (in the house that is now the visitor centre as I recall).  They then moved back south to London where my grandfather carried on as a teacher and were my father's two brothers and two sisters were born. 

So, my gg gparents were: Niel Lamont MACCORMICK and Annabella Campbell MACLACHLAN and my g gfather married Mary MACDONALD on 31 Dec 1889 which is where, I presume, the MacDonald comes from that we all keep amongst our names.

From what I can see, my gg gfather Niel Lamont MACCORMICK had a brother Donald born 30 Jun 1864 but he, coincidentally, married a Marion MacDonald in 1897.  Wrong Marion!  I can see your Donald McCormick , Ann MacCalum and Marion McCormick but how you try to cross check that strand of the family against the rest I really don't know.  Unfortunately, the family member trying to put together the family tree for a web site has had a recurrence of their cancer and, sensibly enough, is concentrating on his treatment.  As and when he becomes available again I will see if he can shed any further light on this.   
Men of the 56th (1st London) and 46th (North Midland) Divisions in 1916

Offline climbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
hi me again l was wondering if you had tried the the mac MacCormick families of the isle of Iona and the Ross of mull l think your Niel is on it have a look let me know its run by Gordon mac cormick he was very helpful when l phoned him as l am so far away l have got to rely on the phone a lot and he gave some very useful information anyway   hope its a help ´eve p.s merry xmas  8)