Author Topic: If only the mother is on baptism record, is the child illegitimate?  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
If only the mother is on baptism record, is the child illegitimate?
« on: Thursday 31 May 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
If only the mother is listed on the baptism record in a parish register, is the child NECESSARILY illegitimate? Or is there an alternative explanation that I'm unaware of?

I've always assumed that even if the mother HAD been married and the father had died between the conception and birth of the child, that the parish register entry would still give the name of the father, but modified with a "deceased" or the like.

I have such a record from Tamworth, Staffordshire, in 1796, but there is no marginalia stating "illegitimate" or "bastard" - just "James son of Elizabeth Endsor".

ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: If only the mother is on baptism record, is the child illegitimate?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 07 05:17 BST (UK) »
IGS

I'm pretty sure that the father would always be named if he were known.  (Just thinking back on all the microfilms of parish records I've trawled through!)

Have you tried looking for a marriage of a man called ? Endsor and a woman called Elizabeth ?   Won't prove anything definite, I know, but if there was such a marriage, you might find it.

Have you searched for Elizabeth on the IGI?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Justanothersmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 07 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've had a similar problem with a family by the name of Wade in Hipswell Yorkshire: 5 children all linked to a mother only. Still haven't found out the truth.

Doug
Smith / Tait /  Wade / Stabler [North Yorkshire / Durham]
Tunnicliffe / Dimmock [Staffordshire / Worcestershire]
Bradshaw [Leeds]
Threapleton [Pudsey]

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 07 06:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know about England, but German records do specify when the child was illegitimate, and, if the father is know, his identity is also stated;  if his identity is not certain, they still put it down and then say that so-and-so was said to be the father.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 07 06:23 BST (UK) »
In all the parish records I have trawled through, either they have the father's name or "base born", "illigitimate" or some such. I have not come across one with no father.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 07 06:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I only have a photocopy of part of the parish register page, so I haven't seen if there were any other baptisms with only the mothers listed. I guess I ought to get the Tamworth PR films and start trawling and comparing.
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 June 07 06:50 BST (UK) »
I think you'd find that very helpful. If there are other blanks, and no references to "illegitimate", etc, I think you could make a reasonable assumption.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 June 07 07:41 BST (UK) »
First question to ask is - "Was Elizabeth Endsor a resident of the parish or not?"
If she was a resident then the parish register would normally show the father's name, if not then often the father's name would not be mentioned.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 June 07 11:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know about parish records but on the IGI it could be that the father is away somewhere, or he could have died while his wife was pregnant.

Andrew