Author Topic: Married twice but who fathered the children?  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Maxie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Married twice but who fathered the children?
« on: Saturday 02 June 07 06:19 BST (UK) »

I'm looking for John A Goffin (born ~ 1871) in Yarmouth. I can't find him in 1881 or 1891 though I'm sure he's there! He was a fisherman. He appears in 1901 in Hakin, Pembrokeshire, Wales with his wife Sarah and family.

In 1901 the family of Jno Goffin consisted of John, Sarah & six children. All took the name "Goffin" on the census form, but on the birth certificates of two of the children  the father was named as Frederick John Mckay. (Even for the child 'Gertrude M Goffin Mckay'!)

This is no suprise as Sarah had married Frederick John Mckay in 1890 in Gorleston, Norfolk and appears in 1891 in Great Yarmouth with her baby son Frederick Daniel. No father present, though he was a fisherman too. In 1901 son, Frederick Daniel is with Sarah's mother in Yarmouth.

I can't find Frederick John Mckay in 1891or 1901 or a record of his death. And the children who were supposed to be his have names which seem to relate closely with John Goffin.
John Goffin and Sarah Flora Knights finally married in 1911.

I've found many Goffins in Yarmouth but not John A. I think 'A' may be 'Albert' since the son born in 1892 was called Bertie Samuel.

Anyone with a Goffin/Knights/Mckay connection?

Help!  ::) ::) ::)
Norfolk
Suffolk
Yorkshire
Pembrokeshire
Scotland
Leicester
Middlesex
Hampshire
Devon
Mckay, Bath, Masson, Knights, Hogg, Jinkerson, Gillings,
Blockwell, Barker, Nichols. Eves, Douglas, Stead, Wilkinson.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK