Author Topic: Thomas VINCENT - Hants and Bucks  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas VINCENT - Hants and Bucks
« on: Saturday 02 June 07 10:03 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about Thomas Vincent born abt. 1800 in St Mary Bourne, Hampshire and his family in Bucks.

In 1841 Thomas,40, and Elizabeth 35 born abt 1806 in Wooburn, have 7 children:
William 1826, David 1831, Joseph 1832, James 1834, George 1835, Kezia 1836 and Jane 1839 and are living in Burnham Bucks.

In 1851 Thomas, 50, is with Elizabeth, 49?,  and children William, 25, Joseph,19, and Jane, 12, they are living at Brook End Farm where Thomas is working as a shepherd.

By 1861 the census records show that Thomas, 60, is married to Eliza, aged 48? and born in Burnham.  (Should be Elizabeth, aged 55, and born in Wooburn)  They have a son Alfred aged 2 born in Taplow.  They are living at The Alma, Burnham and he is working as a beer retailer.

1871 finds Thomas aged 70 living with son Alfred aged 12 at Alma Row, Burnham and working as a Beerhouse Keeper.

1881 shows Thomas aged 81 and classed as a Stepfather and Widower.  He is living at The Grenville Arms, Burnham.  Martha Winch, born abt 1835 in Burnham is the head of household and is a widow with 4 children.

There are discrepancies with regard to the age of Elizabeth and I wonder that she coud have produced Alfred at 53 or even Eliza at 46.  So, are they the same wife?  And what about the Stepfather bit in 1881?

Any help sorting out the Vincent family would be greatly appreciated.  I think Thomas is my Great, Great, Great Grandfather on my mother's maternal side,
Regards, Abiam

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Vincent Hants and Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 07 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam

Adult ages in the 1841 Census were supposed to be rounded down to the next lower multiple of 5 years. This would explain the apparent discrepancy in Elizabeth's age from 1841 to 1851.

I agree that Elizabeth would have been too old to have been Alfred's mother. My working assumption would be that Elizabeth had died sometime in the 1850s and that Thomas had remarried to Eliza (surname unknown).  This looks like a possible marriage registration:

Thomas Vincent, March quarter 1857 Eton 3a 372.
Matching reference: Eliza Hancock (or Elizabeth Taber)

There's also this earlier death registration:
Elizabeth Vincent, Dec quarter 1855 Eton 3a 234

His relationship to Martha Winch is interesting and worth investigating. You need to track her back in previous censuses to find out who she was in earlier life.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 June 07 11:13 BST (UK) »
Also this death registration - presumably Thomas's second wife.

Eliza Vincent, March quarter 1863 Eton 3a 277

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 June 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
This may help...

1871 Burnham Bucks
RG 10/1402 folios 19-20 pages 4-5

12 Dropmore Road
Walter Winch, head, 28, beerhouse keeper
Martha, wife, 32
Eliza, daur, 5, scholar
Emily, daur, 3
Sarah, daur, 2
Alice, daur, 3 months
Mary A Beasley, servant, ? , domestic servant
James Stanley, lodger, 44, ag lab
All born Burnham

Probable marriage:

Walter Winch, Dec qtr 1864 Eton 3a 629
Matching ref: Martha Hester

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 June 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,

Thank you!!!
That's great!  I felt there were 2 marriages.  I agree Martha and Thomas sound interesting and I've looked at earlier censuses (what is the plural of census?) and have not found any connection.    I think, maybe they worked in the hostelry trade and he became a pseudo grandad to the kids.  It would be a nice thought.

I've also been trying to find Thomas Vincent in St Mary Bourne, Hants without success.  He is the one I'm really interesed in.  I'll try the Wiltshire board.  Is there any chance of finding his death?  I can't get BBand here and when there are several years to be searched it takes forever and the telphone bill.....

Once again thank you for your help.  I'm going to post a new thread in case anyone has info on The Alma and The Granville Arms both in Burnham,

Regards, Abiam

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 June 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again

This looks a distinct possibility for his death registration:

Thomas Vincent (age 80)
Sept quarter 1881, Eton 3a 306

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 07 07:39 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,
Thanks for the death date, looks good to me.  I have received info on a Thomas Vincent born in St Mary's Portsea, Hampshire in 1798 but don't know what to make of it.  St Mary Bourne is in Hampshire but near Andover,
Any thoughts,
Regards Abiam

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam

Your best bet is to check the parish records for St Mary Bourne - perhaps someone may volunteer to do this for you. Suggest you post a separate look-up request on the Hampshire board.

Regards
Dave