Author Topic: McQueenie  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McQueenie
« on: Sunday 03 June 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters. Would someone please be able to tell me which part of Ireland I should be searching re the surname McQueenie?
Thanks
Anne in OZ
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt
IRELAND:Corkery O'Connor Reid McFadzen McFadden Oates McQueenie

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: McQueenie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 07 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne,

A search of Griffiths Valuation 1847-64 shows the McQueeny family with a Y living only in Co. Leitrim with the exception of Michael McQueeny living in Co. Clare.

Do you have any names or dates etc.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 07 22:49 BST (UK) »
Anne,

If you have a look at www.leitrim-roscommon.com you can can search the 1901 census of Leitrim. I found 2 McQueeny families listed there and another in Mayo.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 07 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi RonnieG, thank you for lending a hand, much appreciated.  The 1901 census is far too late for this family.
The McQueenie family I am looking for went to Scotland around or before 1852, {birth of 1st child}. The furtherest mmmmmm---is that a word??? is Martin sometimes spelt Martyn McQueenie sometimes spelt McQueeny or McQueeney or just McQueen and his wife Catherine Oates, both born in Ireland, Martyn in 1825, Catherine in 1832. Martyn's parent's where Bryne McQueenie and Catherine McFadzen, but that's all I know. Catherine's parent's where Michael Oates and Catherine McFadden also from Ireland.
Any light you can throw on this mystery or any leads or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Anne in OZ
SCOTLAND: Bothwell Hunter Cumming Forbes Deans McPhail Wyness Malcolm Cameron Harvey McQueenie McCall Morrison
ENGLAND: Bailey Beer Beere Mann Worker Wines Page Turner Vagg Grimwood Heaton Stanbridge Stapleton Thompson Pittard Chick Dummelow Brown Dimmitt

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again, can you please tell me where I can find the Griffiths Valuation 1847-64. Are they searchable online?
Thanks
Anne

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 14:35 BST (UK) »
Anne,

You can look at a fairly comprehensive extract of Griffiths Valuation on www.failteromhat.com but bear in mind that it is not complete.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Anne,

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the McQueeny family is to be found almost exclusively in Co. Leitrim.

I have had a look for Michael Oates in Leitrim and find just one, renting a house in Leitrim Town and land nearby from Wm. Robt. La Touche. Leitrim town is in the parish of Kiltoghert.

Going back to the McQueenys, there is one John McQueeny renting a house and about 10 acres in the townland of Sheemore, which is also in the parish of Kiltoghert. His landlord was the same Wm. Robt. La Touche.

Hope this is of some help

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline Anne in OZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again. I followed the link but I couldn't find any reference to the family at all under any spelling in the 1848 - 1864, the reference to the McQueeny family that you found must have been in 1847?
Anne

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Anne,

The full listing of Griffiths Valuation is available on www.originsnetwork.com but this is a subscription service.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary