Author Topic: Devonport/Plymouth Record Office - GREENEY  (Read 1485 times)

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devonport/Plymouth Record Office - GREENEY
« on: Friday 08 June 07 21:51 BST (UK) »
This is a request to anyone who is looking through any baptism records in the Devonport/Plymouth area. I am looking for my great-grandfather who was born around 1856 supposedly in Devonport. His parents (William and Elizabeth) married in 1855 in Wolborough. We have now found his siblings in the bmd under the name Green. (see completed look-ups). They were living in Queen St, Devonport. There is no sign anywhere however of Alfred Richard Greeney, or any other spellings I can think of. I have also checked his mother's maiden name of Bulley. If you have access to any records for Plymouth or are at Plymouth Record Office checking anything, please could you keep an eye open for this elusive man!

Thanks

Sue
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
Re: Devonport/Plymouth Record Office Greeney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 June 07 23:13 BST (UK) »
hi sue,
well low and behold they are again under the name green in the 1861, living in morice square which is actually the street over from queen street, my grandmother lived in queen street many years later so i know the area well, anyway this is what i found for you so far,
william   green  head age 24  b  devon
elizabeth  "                age 24  b   devon
alfred r      "      son    age 5    b  devonport
matilda a   "      dau    age 3    b     "
malinda  h  "      dau    age 1    b     "
will see if i can find anymore ok
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 07 00:05 BST (UK) »
hi sue,
you may have this but i will post it just in case

alfred r greeney   head  age 24 b devonport plymouth   occupation :tanner
mary     greeney  wife     age 25

living 86 abbey street
reg district st olave southwark
civil parish bermondey, london   
no sign of any children yet !
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline sueclog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 07 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Krissy for your immediate interest. You have the right man! His first daughter was born soon afterwards. What I am trying desperately to find is some record somewhere of his birth or baptism.

I can't find his birth record anywhere, and am beginning to think he wasn't registered. I live in hope that the children were baptised so that I can find some evidence there. I don't know the Devonport area, but the census area was St Paul's, so I asked Plymouth record office to check those registers for me. They checked for Greeney - I now find he might be there as Green. Or Greene. Or Grinney! Or he might have been baptised somewhere else. Or not at all! That's why I am just asking anybody going through any baptism records for this time to keep an eye out. I probably need to spend a holiday at Plymouth record office to check everything - but that's not an option at the moment!

Thanks

Sue :)
Greeney (Grinney); Bulley; Bentham; Holme; Sheridan; Clifton; Massey; Clarke;

Offline Kate Sheila Keegan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Devonport/Plymouth Record Office - GREENEY
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
My dad was a Grinney named Albert George, born 1910, he lived in the Stoke Damarel area of Plymouth, I believe he had a sister that died also possibly his mother, I think his step mother was from Wales so not sure if for some reason his father had lived there?  I believe his father was in the navy so could account for the difficulty your having, I do not know a great deal about them but happy to share what I do know.