Author Topic: Have I gone wrong?  (Read 5639 times)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Have I gone wrong?
« on: Monday 11 June 07 14:13 BST (UK) »
Today I got the baptism details for Catherine Skelton (xtened 23.11.1785) Catherine married John Archer 25.04.1808 and my 3x great grandmother Elizabeth Archer was b 1815c, she married William Mansell in 1836.
Going backwards with the new details in the IGI  I found the following :

Catherine Skeltons parents were John and Mary. John Skelton m Mary Pascall 01.06 1777 at Shifnal.

Mary Paschall was Xtened 07.10.1753 at Preston on the Wealdstone Moors, her parents were Melchisedec Paskell and Mary (I really want Melchisedec in my tree  ;D)

Melchisedec  was xtened 25.11.1722  at Preston on the Wealdstone Moors, his parents were John and Elizabeth Jones who were married 01.01.1721 at Shifnal.

John was xtened 07.05.1699 at Preston on the Wealdstone Moors, his parents were John and Bridget Thomas who were married 21.02.1689 at Uppington.

John  and Bridget were both born Uppington 1664c and 1668c respectively.

My question is, as a newbie, have I got carried away and gone horribly wrong? Everything seems to check out ok at least back to Elizabeth Archers xtening.

(Elizabeth and William Mansells daughter Elizabeth married William Challoner, and their son James was my great grandfather)

Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Have I gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
How come all the males had fathers with different surnames? Or have I missed something?
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 June 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
Oops, the men are all Pascalls or variants but re-reading it with the womens maiden names stuck on the end I see where the confusion arose.

John Paschell b.1664c Uppington married Bridget Thomas  21.02.1689.
Their son, John Pascall, xtened 07.05.1699.
He married Elizabeth Jones 01.01.1721
their son, Melchisedeck Paskell xtened 25.11.1722
He married someone called Mary, haven't traced it yet.
Their daughter Mary Pascall xtened 07.10.1753, she married John Skelton 01.06.1777.
Their daughter Catherine was xtened 23.11.1785 and she married John Archer 25.04.1808.
Elizabeth  Archer was born 1815c, and she married William Mansell 16.10.1836.
Elizabeth Mansell b1836c married William Challoner in 1857.
James Challoner b.1867 he married Elizabeth Snowball 26.05.1890 and my grandmother, Ann Ferry Challoner was born 01.06.1894.

Hope working it forward makes it  a bit clearer. Tbh I'm a bit confused myself  ;D
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:30 BST (UK) »

Going backwards with the new details in the IGI

The IGI is great for helping with our family history research, but there are known errors, and I would strongly advise you to check out the originals ie. parish registers.

All Shropshire parish registers are available to view on microfiche at The Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury.  I don't know if you are able to visit in person, if not then you could always email or telephone for assistance.

I see that you have CHALLONER in your Tree.  I'm descended from a Challoner line from Cheshire - where are yours from?

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:41 BST (UK) »

As an example I checked out one of your IGI entries:

Their son, John Pascall, xtened 07.05.1699.

which is an extracted record (not member submitted), and if you click on SOURCE you get lots of information about where the information has been transcribed from:

07 MAY 1699       Preston-On-The-Weald Moors, Shropshire, England

Topic
England, Shropshire, Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors - Church records

Titles
Bishop's transcripts for Preston-on-the Weald-Moors, 1678-1868 / Church of England. Parish Church of Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors (Shropshire)
Microfilm of original records at the Diocesan Registry in Lichfield, Stafford.

Parish chest records, 1727-1891 / Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors (Shropshire)
Microfilm copy of original records in the Shropshire County Record Office, Shrewsbury.Shropshire Record Office no.: 4608/CW/1-2; 4608/P/1; 4608/H/1

Parish register transcripts for Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors, 1693-1695 / Church of England. Parish Church of Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors (Shropshire)

and

Parish registers, 1693-1925 / Church of England. Parish Church of Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors (Shropshire)
Microfilm of original records at the Shropshire County Record Office, Shrewsbury.Filmed with: Parish registers, 1721-1754 / Church of England. Parish Church of Wombridge.Film 1849232 is high reduction (42X) microfilm; use high magnification reader.Preston-on-the-Weald-Moors was also called Preston-on-the-Wild-Moors and Preston-Wealdmoors.Shropshire Records office no.: 4608/Rg/1-3; 4608/BRg/1; 4608/MRg/1-2

It looks a lot, but gives you reference numbers which would be useful when contacting the Shropshire Archives (formerly known as the Shropshire County Record Office).

It might be worth you checking out the SOURCE for all of your IGI entries.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 June 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, I've had some stuff from Shropshire Archives but it's tricky, as a beginner, for people before the censuses, to know if you have the right William or Thomas or Mary  :-\, but I didn't know all those references were available so thank you very much for that.
Most of my Challoners are Shropshire born, but the one I'm brickwalled at, Joseph, may have come from Cheshire. The blind/deaf and dumb box is ticked for him on the 1841 ? census and this might account for the variety of spellings that I have for Challoner. He might've moved to Shropshire quite young as one census states for place of birth "Can't say but thinks it might be (somewhere illegible) Cheshire." So, if you have a lost Joseph b1807c he could be mine  :)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 June 07 14:55 BST (UK) »

I wish you luck with the Shropshire bit........please let me know if you need any further help.

With regard to Joseph Challoner I will send you a PM to keep it separate from this thread ;)

Offline Nantwich-Newsagent

• RootsChat Extra
  • A Barony born Dabber
    • View Profile
Re: Melchisedech Pascall
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 August 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
I think Melchisedech Pascall (dob 1722) probably had a brother, John Pascall who was born in 1727. Like Melchisedech he was born in Preston upon the Weald Moors. With this being seemingly such a remote area it would seem highly likely that John Pascall (dob 1699, also PutWMs) was father to them both.

Another indicator to add a little extra weight to this likely link is that 1699 John's father was also called John (Paschal by this time, dob 1664, Uppington) and that he had 2 sons, Melchisedech (uncle to yours, dob 1693) and 1699 John. I think 1699 John repeated the pattern of two sons, once again naming the elder Melchisedech and the younger John.

You may be interested in the new topic I've started on 1664 John -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,250461.0.html
Any help on this would be welcome.

Also I'm guessing you're the same Angelfish who has a Watson tree on Ancestry.co.uk? If so, thanks as I found this most interesting.

Two thoughts you might find of interest -
1. Did you struggle to find Elizabeth and William Mansell on the 1861 census (I did!) - Mansell has been transcribed as Monsell when the census was typed up.
2. Martha Mansell can be found on Elizabeth's 1891 census entry as Martha Llewellyn and family at 52 Thorpe Street, 2 doors from her mother. It looks like Martha married into the same Welsh family as her brother George.

Best regards - NN
Pascall, Paschal, Proctor, Oakes, Heath, Atherton, Cooke, Sumner, Latham, Pickering, Redfern, Gresty, Hall, Salmon, Daniels, Wood, Minshall, Bebbington, Burgess, Ravenscroft, Blackmore, Dean, Ellis, Woodfield, Bourne, Wild, Nunelly, Bettley, Potts, Forster, Booth, Asten, Moumfield, Bebbington, Jones, Huxby, Johnson, Thomas, Wilkinson, Barker, Amerie, Whalley, Caldey

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 07 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi NN, yes that's me on Ancestry. Yes, I did struggle to find William and Elizabeth on the 1861 and I did have the wrong couple for a while  :-[, but I got there in the end.
I did PM someone through Ancestry about Martha but they didn't respond, I haven't done much work on the Mansell family, except in the direct line through Elizabeth Challoner (nee Mansell).
Having seen my tree do you think I'm right in my reasoning regarding the Pascall connection? I've only been doing this since May so I'm no expert, but it does seem that with the more remote ancestors you sometimes have to go on the balance of probabilities.
If anyone can put me right on this I would be grateful.