Author Topic: Completed - Many thanks - Any significance to only wearing one glove  (Read 12502 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any significance to only wearing one glove
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
The Photo is definately after Jan 1918 as the overseas chevrons werent introduced to uniforms til then.
If you post the MIC ill have a go at translating it for you.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 07 23:04 BST (UK) »
Back to the glove for a minute -is the point that he isn't wearing one on his left hand, but that he is wearing a ring on his wedding finger - was the pic taken when he got engaged/married by any chance?
Maggott

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 00:32 BST (UK) »
The Army Ordnance Corps(AOC) was formed in the 1800s it got its Royal in 1918, The Royal Army Ordnance Corps(RAOC).

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 07:07 BST (UK) »
hiya joe,before you download the medal card,have a word with monsstar [roy]hes a pal of mine and hes a researcher at kew,charles frederick verity of beeston rd,leeds,was in the rifle brigade,in 1918 he was stationed at northants,his army number was 160577,theres no man called verity with this number in the medal cards,its very likely he didnt serve overseas with this number,so it wont show up in the medal rolls,i could be wrong,but it looks like a bad shadow not a glove,if his service record has survived,roy will find it.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline JoJoBuggins

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Maggott - doubt very much it was a marriage or engagement, married in 1907

Manmack, many thanks for your information - I have 2 Charles Frederick Verity's in my family tree, both born within a year of each other and both from Leeds, it caused a bit of confusion at first, and I think/presume that they both served time in the Army, but..... which one served in which regiment, I have not got a clue :-\

Monsstar
have a word with monsstar [roy]hes a pal of mine and hes a researcher at kew,charles frederick verity of beeston rd,leeds,was in the rifle brigade,in 1918 he was stationed at northants,his army number was 160577,theres no man called verity with this number in the medal cards,its very likely he didnt serve overseas with this number,so it wont show up in the medal rolls,i could be wrong,if his service record has survived,roy will find it.
mack

Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline JoJoBuggins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 08:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry didnt finish off what I was writing and when I tried to modify it,just kept putting everything in quotes, so thought I would start again :)

Monsstar would it be possible for you to see if Charles Frederick Verity's service record as survived? 

Many thanks in advance

Jo

Verity - All Yorkshire & Scotland<br />Waring - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hey - Silkstone, Yorkshire<br />Dykes - Yorkshire (Leeds & York)<br />Wyrill - Yorkshire (North Yorks)<br />Anderson - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Andrews - Yorkshire<br />Marland - Yorkshire (WRY)<br />Hanson - Yorkshire & Notts
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 08:27 BST (UK) »
joe,the other charles verity of pollar st,leeds,was pte 440157,553rd agricultural company,labour corps,hes not listed in the medal cards as serving overseas with this number.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline JoJoBuggins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 09:01 BST (UK) »
Ok, thank you, was that a Charles Frederick, I have that many Charles  Verity's, cant keep track of them sometimes!!

Jo
Lunn - Yorkshire
Leng - Yorkshire

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 11:53 BST (UK) »
Jo
Heres a JPG of the Army Ordnance Corps cap badge pre 1919.
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.