Author Topic: GULLEY - Godmanchester  (Read 1413 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
GULLEY - Godmanchester
« on: Wednesday 13 June 07 11:54 BST (UK) »
Is there anybody who belongs to a genealogy group in this area as I have a birth of William John Gulley (B)23/10/1810 (C) 26/12/1810 Godmanchester Huntingshire (FHL1040993) Father William John Mother Phoebe Ann (nee Bunyon) all their other children (B) Westminster I have been wondering what is the connection of Godmanchester to this family can somebody help me with this request. Thank you. Ann
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: surname gulley re godmanchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 June 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the film of the parish register to see if there is any additional information on the Godmanchester baptism? Likewise with their marriage?

What was William's occupation? Anything that might have involved travelling?

Where were William and Phoebe born? Any possible links with Hunts?

Godmanchester was on the major coaching route to the north - might this have been a factor?

Might William John have been born in London but christened in Godmanchester?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GULLEY - Godmanchester
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 June 07 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. As I use the library for the computer I do not have details I wish to give you with me, will do so on Monday. Ann
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 07 10:34 BST (UK) »
William John Gulley
Where will I find the parish reg?
His Father was a Shoemaker as on 1841 census
I cannot find the (Bpt) of his Father William John Gulley on 1841 says in the county (Mdx) HO/107/740/2 I cannot find his Mothers Phoebe Ann b(Bpt)
No Hunts connection only later Day and Hart.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
You can order the film you mentioned in your original post from your nearest Family History Centre of the LDS - a list can be found on their site at www.familysearch.org

There doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why he should have been baptised in Hunts - perhaps the parish register entry will shed some light on it

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock