Author Topic: Waterman - Essex, London & Yorkshire  (Read 16497 times)

Offline KathyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Waterman - Essex, London & Yorkshire
« on: Sunday 17 June 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
Waterman Family Tree

I would love to hear from anyone else who is tracing the Waterman surname. I have a huge amount of Waterman information which I am happy to share with anyone who is interested. I've managed to go back as far as Isaac Waterman 1658 but I do have one or two areas which I am not 100% certain about so it would be nice to have another person to compare notes with!

My personal Waterman tree started in Hatfield Broad Oak, moved on to High Roding and finally ended up in Halifax, West Yorkshire. I have traced different branches of the tree to Stanstead Mountfitchett, Walthamstow, Marylebone, Somerset, America and Australia.
In Dorset: Clare, Clark, Ford.<br />In Essex: Fewell, Searle, Waterman.<br />In Lincolnshire: Blackburn, Hardy.<br />In London: Wiggins.<br />In Nottingham: Foster.<br />In Wales: Davies, Price.<br />In Yorkshire: Crabtree, Greenwood, Needham.

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Waterman - Essex, London & Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 07 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

I am not researching the Waterman family tree, but I am researching the Warwick family tree who were just across the fields from Hatfield Broad Oak at Farnham in Essex. I only have one contact with the Waterman family and that was a marriage between William Waterman and Elizabeth Warwick which took place at Farnham on 25th December 1806. The banns were read at the church the previous three weeks. It would appear that they are both alive on the 1841 census and residing at The Green, Birchanger, Essex, again just down the road from Farnham. William on the census is recorded as 53 or 58 years old and Elizabeth is recorded as 54 years old. I have taken the Warwick's back to the 1550's, but am not sure which Elizabeth Warwick this one is as there were a few about at this time. To date I do not know if William and Elizabeth had children. If you can tie in William I am more than willing to share any Warwick information. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Offline KathyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 07 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your message. This branch of my Waterman tree is quite distant so I'm not tracing the Warwick family, but I do appreciate the offer thank you.

This is the information I have which you might find helpful:

Elizabeth Warwick was the daughter of William Warwick and Mary Coban. Like you said, Elizabeth married William Waterman on 25th December 1806 in Farnham, Essex. They had 2 children that I know of, Charlotte Waterman born 1807 in Birchanger, Essex and Frances Waterman born 1808 in Birchanger, Essex. Both daughters moved to Salt Lake City so I would assume they were mormons?

Incase you are interested, William was born in 1788 and was the son of Ward Waterman and Martha Trott.

Kind regards, Kathy.
In Dorset: Clare, Clark, Ford.<br />In Essex: Fewell, Searle, Waterman.<br />In Lincolnshire: Blackburn, Hardy.<br />In London: Wiggins.<br />In Nottingham: Foster.<br />In Wales: Davies, Price.<br />In Yorkshire: Crabtree, Greenwood, Needham.

Offline KathyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 07 14:14 GMT (UK) »
P.S. I forgot to mention - I found amongst my notes something which seems very odd, and therefore probably wrong, but I wondered if you knew anything about it...

William Waterman had a brother named Isaac. I have written down (surrounded by question marks!) that he possibly married Elizabeth Warwick on 28th April 1805 in Birchanger, Essex. It seems quite strange that the two brothers should both have wives with the same name so I've ignored this information until now. As one explanation, I wondered if you should happen to know if Elizabeth was a widow when she married William?

Thanks, Kathy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 07 14:20 GMT (UK) »
KathyW

In my family, I have two brothers who both married women with the same name.  They were definitely different women and one brother was about 10 years older than the other.  As they lived in a fairly small area, I wondered if the women were cousins or something.

Liz

Offline KathyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 07 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz,

Yes, I did wonder if it was possible that the two Elizabeth Warwick's were related after Martin mentioned that he had several records of women of the same name born around the same time. In my Waterman tree I have at least 4 John Waterman's born around the same time and place and boy does it make things confusing!!

Regards, Kathy.

Offline Martin17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

As I mentioned earlier there were a few Elizabeth Warwicks who were of similar age that I have recorded. To date I have none that are from Birchanger, (that does not mean to say that there are not any ) and William Warwick and Mary Coban to date are not my direct line. The thing that bugs me about this one is that the banns were read at Farnham church in Essex. If Elizabeth was from Birchanger, why have the banns read at Farnham? Or were the banns for William? I have an Elizabeth Warwick who was born in Farnham ( the Warwick's were there from 1776 to early 1900) who age wise fits in with marrying William Waterman. I know on the 1841 and 51 census that she is recorded as being born in Birchanger, but her age fits Elizabeth from Farnham. As you know census birthplaces do not always ring true. I do not think that Elizabeth was a widow when she married William, she would have been about 21 years old. What do you think? And you thought it was confusing with four John Watermans.

Regards

Martin
Warwick- Farnham Essex, Pelhams, Hadhams & Bishops Stortford Hertfordshire, Lee Kent.

Offline KathyW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I wish I could remember where I got my information from, regarding Elizabeth's parents, as you have got me thinking now that it was a different Elizabeth Warwick who married William Waterman.

I have found in the past that marriages usually took place in the area where the wife was from so chances are she was from Farnham. I can only really confirm what I know about William Waterman and I do know that he was from Birchanger so it was not because of him why the banns were read in Farnham.

Also, I can tell you that the Elizabeth Warwick who married William wasn't a widow as for one she wasn't married as a Waterman (I really should think before typing!) and for another poor old Isaac didn't die until 1840. So, if Isaac did marry someone called Elizabeth Warwick then she would have been someone else.

Aren't family trees complicated!!

Best wishes, Kathy.

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 July 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I am researching a family tree on behalf of a good frined of mine, who's mother is a Waterman, related to the Watermans of Walthamstow.

So far, I have only been able to get back as far as William Waterman (b. 1808), and I would love to know if you have any more information or if my research can be of any use to you

I look forward to your reply

Louis Brzozka (on behalf of Yvette Denise Waterman)