Author Topic: Castlewood, Dumfriesshre- completed  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Castlewood, Dumfriesshre
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 14:20 BST (UK) »
Just been thinking while admiring my Highland view  :)

Did any of them marry or die there? If so it would be possible to check the address  from a certificate. Also, what occupations?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Just had a look at the microfilm for the 1851 census entry in Caerlaverock parish. It is actually Castle Wood Cottage not Castlewood, although to be honest that is not conclusive. There is definitely a Castlewood about a mile out of Ecclefechan on the Middlebie road and from memory it looks more like the old photo but I will go when I get a chance to check for sure. Ecclefechan is also much closer to Tundergarth where your other photo was taken.

On a slight side point I was thinking that now you know a date for the photo you could look in the Valuation roll (once you know for sure where the house was) that would tell you who was living in the house at time the photo was taken.

Regards,

Emma

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks.  Both good ideas
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 October 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I really must apologise, I never posted the photo did I. I am so sorry, we went away on holiday and I have just remembered now! Anyway here is the photo. The house has been changed quite considerably but it is definitely the same house and is still called Castlewood. It is just outside Ecclefechan.

Emma

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 October 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Emma.  That is definately it! And I found a few more photos of Castlewood this week, so now I am sure that it was my G-g-aunt who lived there.
Julie
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castlewood, Dumfriesshre- completed
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 February 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
just noticed your picture of castlewood and it is definately in ecclefechan, my cousin has lived in it for about 45 years dont know who was in it before her
canonbie little,scott,jackson middlebie;nicol,jardine,cummertrees;johnston,thomson