Author Topic: Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight, Manchester  (Read 12486 times)

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight, Manchester
« on: Tuesday 19 June 07 06:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to do some research into a couple of business which my grandfather, Godfrey Gould ran between 1895-1919. We think his first big shop was at 755-757 Stockport Road, Longsight around 1901, although I have a picture of his shop which says Longsight Furniture Store and today we have tried to locate the actual shop and have discovered its is actually at 645-647 Stockport Road which is located in Levenshulme.

Can anyone tell me if Stockport Road numbers have been changed since then and can you tell me if 755-757 is now 645-647

Also can anyone tell me how to locate any memorabilia, photgraphs or records dating back from my Grandfathers shop on Stockport Road?

I have also found him in the business directory for 1895 as Millinery at 19 Stockport Road and I wonder if anyone can clarify this.

Finally I am also trying to research an early business he had on Slade Lane. Please see second posting entitled Furniture Store-Slade Lane, Longsight

Many thanks

The Baldwin family from Cork. (Listed in Burkes)
Cork :- Gould between 1871-1876.
From Ilfracombe and Barnstaple:Gould, Pile and Salmon
From Bristol: Gould, Fletcher, Stones, Sparrow
From Liverpool: Searle, Birch
From Staverton: Searle and Harvey

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Furniture Store-Stockport Road, Longsight, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 16:35 BST (UK) »
Could you possibly upload the picture you have? I lived near this bit of Stockport Rd for over 30 years (1960 onwards I'm afraid, but you never know,  I might recognise something).

I think that many years ago, Stockport Rd numbers for Longsight ran from Ardwick to Matthews Lane (the Longsight/Levenshulme border), then started again. At some point, Levenshulme lost its own set of numbers and the whole of Stockport Road was numbered from Ardwick to Stockport itself.

Odd numbers on 'modern' Stockport Rd are on the east side, that is the left hand side if you're driving south from Manchester to Stockport.  I have a 1970-ish A-Z of Manchester which gives number 689 at the junction of Stockport Rd and Slade Lane. If the numbers for that section of road were the same pre war, then your furniture shop would be somewhere near what used to be Woolworths and is now, I think, FarmFoods. On a modern map, look between Stanley Grove and the railway bridge over Stockport Rd, it's around that area - near Slade Lane, where your other shop was.  A lot of that stretch of road was pulled down around the time  the Asda was built.  I think the Spring Bank pub is still there?

Ooh nostalgia, it's lovely! I have 2 local history books by Gay Sussex on Longsight & Levenshulme. I'll have a quick look & see if your shop gets a mention.
 :) :)
Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
Me again, sorry I went the wrong way wih my numbers there; been away too long!  689 Stockport Rd (in 1970) was by Slade Lane as I said, then the map shows 952 opposite Matthews Lane, so 755-757 would be somewhere near East Rd. And as I used to live on East Rd, I'm now very curious indeed! There was a big building just between Attwood St and East Rd which when I left Manchester 12 years ago was an Indian restaurant. It would have made a good furniture store, wonder if that was it?
Christopher is right, there are lots of people interested in this area, this post could run and run! See the Hyde Road one, I was enjoying that...
Barbara

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara and Christopher
You will have to wait for a few days while i arange to have this postcard scanned and then i will post it on this site.
We think we matched the photo up to 645-657 - there is a row of shops right opposite the railway bridge and futher down from the slade lane crossing. The first block looks like a food store and then there is a tiny shop full of old doors and brick a brack- next to that is a hairdresser- this is what we think is the picture as the dorma windows match perfectly.
Manchester Furum i have posted somthing but its on the Genealogy not the manchester history- should i put it on the manchester hisory.
I will get the photo done asas.
Many thanks
Anna

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
I'll be interested to see that, sounds as if it is around the area I was thnking of. 

I've just looked at the Manchester Forum site mentioned by Christopher (and maintained by him it looks like, at least the genealogy section - nice one! :)) It's good, not been to that one before.

Look forward to the pic,
Barbara

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna & Barbara,
Having picked up the baton on the Hyde Road topic, and found myself running a marathon rather than a relay i think i'm going to enjoy watching this one, from the sidelines ;D seriously i will get involved if i can help. Also have a look at Manchester Maps topic and his suggestion about getting copies of maps by Migky. And if you can find Slaters Directory of Manchester & Salford 1905 this could well help.

The very best of luck
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 07 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again; I've had a look in my 'looking back at..' books & no mention of the Gould businesses.  As far as street numers are concerned  though the books do confirm that numbers used to go up to 600-700 or so, then start again for Levenshulme.  I would bet that your milliners at no 19 Stockport Rd was in Levensulme, near Matthews Lane.  Anyone who was a poor student in  late 20thC Levvy  remember the Desperate Dog Shop? (animal charity shop)  Round about there, near the Victoria or Old Vic pub.
Waiting for old OS Godfrey edition maps to arrive in the post, hopefully one of these will have something useful.
 ;D Barbara

Offline shoppingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
OK everyone- i have now scanned the photo and its attached to the first posting at top of the page- Hope this helps. Also attached a staff do picture to the Slade Lane posting- this was taken in the basement at the shop at Slade Lane around 1911
Anna

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 07 13:16 BST (UK) »

Also can anyone tell me how to locate any memorabilia, photgraphs or records dating back from my Grandfathers shop on Stockport Road?

You'll find many old photographs of Stockport Road here:

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

The search facility is pretty good.  Your grandfather's shop seems to have been quite prominent, so there's a good chance it'll be included.

HTH,
Stovepipe

Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk