Author Topic: Donovans of Co. Cork  (Read 1534 times)

Offline timcar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donovans of Co. Cork
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for John Alfred Donovan from Co. Cork without success.  He was a schoolmaster, I think in Skibbereen, don't know his wife's name, he had daughters, one born 1866 named Annie, she was also a schoolmistress/governess. There was a least one son, Timothy and possibly other siblings.  I would be delighted if anyone can help as I have hit a brick wall.  Good luck to all.
Jocette

Moderator's Note: See also:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,247075.msg1355222.html#msg1355222

Offline LouLaggan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donovans of Co. Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 24 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm having the same problem.
New to Roots Chat and not sure where to post my query.

I've hit a brick wall finding:
John Alfred Donovan - lived in Skibbereen - his daughter Annie was born there (varying dates 1865 but census suggests 1871). He was a school master.  That's all I know.

Annie Donovan - Born in Skibbereen, possibly a Pupil Teacher at Convent of Notre Dame, Battersea in 1871. Married Joseph Hamilton when she was a governess at Martray House, Ballygawley, County Tyrone. Want to establish birth / baptism details and mother.

Timothy Donovan - I believe this was Annie's brother. Only know about him due to Annie's daughter emigrating to the US in 1912 - the New York Arriving Passenger and Crew list lists her going to 'Uncle. Timothy Donovan and wife, 289 Wickenden Street, Providence, Rhode Island.

Any help, guidance will be gratefully received as I've hit a brick wall on all of them.