Author Topic: Wrong transcription twice same couple  (Read 493 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wrong transcription twice same couple
« on: Wednesday 20 June 07 18:46 BST (UK) »
Transcribing from original B.M.D certificates is i know a very difficult job at times,due to the awful writing.I have sat for ages trying to make out what a name is supposed to say.So i don't blame the transcribers for the wasted time i have spent over the years.
My G.Grandfather Married in Scotland in 1866,then went straight back to blackburn where they lived until their deaths in 1926.As most know The parent names are given on the certificate plus mothers maiden name.Which i obtained in 2002.So with this info i sent for G.Grandfathers Birth cert for 1841.I never got it,the parents didn't match.All sorts of thing were suggested.Was he adopted,illegitimate,
i never found out. It wasn't till last year a gentleman researching  the same surename told me that the mothers surename  on the marriage cert was wrongly transcribed.The proof was sent,the real surename looked nothing the one on the cert.So problem solved,now last year i got G.grandfathers death cert 1926.I didn't know when G.Grandmother died as i couldn't find her on the gro.But had an idea where might be buried.A generous  person did a burial look up for me and found them.Now G.Grandmother was born Jane Married as Jane and buried as jean :o I just looked it up on the gro and there she is Jean.All because of somebodies bad writing on the death cert,it made me wonder how many times one single name can be mistranscribed. Firstly from the marriage cert onto the G.R.O records,if that transcriber is also a bad writer we then have to transcibe his writing ::) Has anyone else been round the block and back countless times because of this ???

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885